HybridZ

Texas Emissions

Hi I am working on a planning a v8 swap. I know on the older Zs your not supposed to have emissions checks but only safety. But I thought I read some place that if you put a newer motor say an 89 model motor in the car that its stupposed to keep what ever emissions equipment came on the car. Basicly I am trying to figure out if I should stick with on early model motor say 71 or go ahead and do a new model motor like an 89 etc. Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Guest rick458

If on the 89 you install a motor that is younger than 1989 AND you do not displace any emissions equipment the 89 had IE cats you should be all right

BTW 1979 is the roll off year for this year so you would be waiting a decade

to just go for broke

Well I had to get my daily driver inspected today and since I was there I asked them about it. They said if I bring in a an early model Z like a 72 etc they are not even going to look at what year motor it has etc. I also asked another local shop and they said the same thing. I live in Johnson county just for future reference.

Sulla,

I live in Tarrant county where things are much stricter and it is the same with my 77 280z with a 98 Camaro LS1. $12.50 for safety inspection and that's. I even go the local regional emmissions agent to verify that was correct.

Johnson county - that's close - you should come to one of the Cowtwon Z Club meetings in Arlington. Email me direct if interested.

Phantom, and all others who register in Texas,,

I was wondering how you license your car. I have a 77'280 work in progress and I thought I could license it as a 'classic over 25 years old which precludes the emissions requirement in Texas.

How do y'all apply for license plates.

Ferd

Phantom' date=' and all others who register in Texas,,

I was wondering how you license your car. I have a 77'280 work in progress and I thought I could license it as a 'classic over 25 years old which precludes the emissions requirement in Texas.

How do y'all apply for license plates.

Ferd[/quote']

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/vtrreginfo.htm?pg=form2

For classic plates http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/spplates/specialplate.htm?nbr=71

Antique plates http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/spplates/specialplate.htm?nbr=70