HybridZ

Old Question--maybe new answers? Aftermarket EMS

Tim240z

I've been looking through the old posts on "Which EMS is best?", but I think there have been some advancements since, so I figured "why not throw out the question again?"

Which aftermarket Engine Management System is best?

Cost, support, features, datalogging, user friendliness, etc etc....

What is it going on? Who's tuning it? I'd say they can all pretty much accomplish the same thing up to a point. You can probably get the same hp out of an SDS as a Motec. You can probably screw up a tune as well with an SDS as with a Motec. And what do you consider "after market ems"? There are many factory ecu's that are fully configurable, tunable, have many options for controlling extra's (nitrous, alky, traction control, flat throttle shifts and launches). Many things to consider. The tune is only as good as the tuner. 8)

Bernard

If I had to pick one brand and call it the best one to fit with just about all engines and setups, I would pick Haltech. The E6X is a great value, and very easy to setup and tune. (compared to many others out there)

I personally use an Electromotive Tec3, which is one of the most difficult to setup (due to the need for the crank trigger wheel - which was something I had to make in my case) But the Tec3 is AWESOME as far as performance and options, tunability, etc... The Electromotive Ignition that is a main part of the Tec3 is one of the best features. No need to add anymore equipment, it kicks ass on its own.

For value and ease of installation/use... I reccomend the Haltech E6X, or the E11 if you want to spend more money and have use for the features.

If your particular engine has an AEM EMS available for it (plug and play standalone) then thats another great option... but in the same price range as the Tec3 and doesn't include ignition.

I personally waiting for the universal AEM race-only system.As I am planning on running methanol injection with pump gas and 20psi on the street and a 150hp shot of N20 to the wheels when on race gas.AEM provides all of the inputs I will need (and then some).I am planning on runing my current dist/MSD ignition with the AEM then converting to a 6cyl Ford EDIS crank triggered system with a MSD DIS.

It all depends on what your looking to do.For a street/strip NA ,turbo motor SDS works great.But, If a person wants to controll N20 via the EMS or run a progressive methanol injection system.Run a WB02 with dattalogging built in to several parameters.Wants traction controll, anti lagg ...ect.AEM will provide all of that and numerous friends of mine are familiar with the setup and tunning. I want a 400rwh car on 20psi of boost on the street with pump gas(methanol injection).On the strip I want 550 rwh on a 150hp shot of N20 on race gas.

Motec, Motec, Motec. As an example, in most professional road racing series in the US (SCCA Speed GT and Touring, ALMS, GrandAm, TransAm) the sanctioning body won't even listen to any requests for horsepower upgrades or weight breaks until the racer has installed and optimized a full Motec EMS (where allowed by the rules).

DTA Fast is a good second choice.