HybridZ

1977 Datsun 280Z?

ProZac

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

^ That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, z31_drifter.

You already have the 280Z, so work with it. The bumpers and hood are about the only things you would need to change, and the hood isn't really a "must". You should be able to find someone selling 240Z bumpers... I sold mine for $150 for the pair to a guy who was putting them on his 280Z.

To answer the post.. Yes, you can convert the front easily to a 240 bumper; you'll need the 240 bumper and brackets, and do a bit of.. fiddling/moding. The rear is possible (I think) but may involve modification of the rear quarters and roll pan/panel behind your 280 bumper. I'm not sure on the rear, because I didn't have or want a rear bumper. My 75 280 was.. uh, :lol: missing the rear when I got it, ('fell off one day' I was told by the previous owner..) so I just did a roll pan. (got some pics in my gallery if you wana check them out) Shoot me a PM if you want more info on the front swap.

And to answer Z31_drifter..

Well, lets see.. 280s have a stronger unibody to begin with, have a tougher rear diff, a 2.8 that will really go with a set of 240 SU's, and were for the most part an 'evolution' of the 240 (In theory.. better) IMO the only thing that was WORSE on the 280's, was the emisions crap and big bumpers.. heh.. progress I supose...

PLUS;

There were LOTS of 280's produced, therefore they are more plentifull, AND are slightly less 'sought after' making them cheaper to buy.. for now. Sooo.. if ProZac HAS a 280.. it's probly easier to swap some bumpers, then to try selling it and FINDING a good 240.. which he would then have to upgrade for a while to get it to the point the 280 IS at now..

Sorry.. don't mean to rant, and I'm not trying to be a dink or anything..

*edit* heh.. ya beat me to it. magnum! :lol:

Besides a different engine, you'd need lighter unibody/frame, suspension, etc. About 800 lbs, right?

The 280Z has more steel in the unibody for safety, strength & durability, plus since it's a 'luxury' car, more stuff inside and undernerneath for smoother ride, acessories, etc.

ProZac,

It's not quite as simple as just changing bumpers. Do you have some 240Z bumpers already? You wil find they mount differently than the 280 bumper. You will also find them to be fairly expensive to buy good used or remanufactured.

Are you specifically wanting the 240Z look or just wanting to get rid of the ugly 280Z crash bumpers? If the latter you need to investigate your options before just going for the 240Z look. By the way, the 240Z and 280Z front turn signals are in different locations so you'll have more changes to make to get the 240 look.

MSA sells air dam kits that cover the crash bumpers and IMO look good.

They also sell fiberglass 240 style bumpers for a reasonable price. You would still need to mock up mounting brackets. If you are interested I am sure someone can give you details. Buying a new set of steel bumpers is expensive. But since you are already going to be illegal in most states, might as well go fiberglass and save weight.

There a lot of other subtle differences between the 280 and 240. Things like vent locations, door strikers, tail lights, dimensions of suspension parts etc. But I think most people would agree the bumpers are the #1 visual difference. There is a big difference in weight, but like said above it is not all bad.

Yeah trying to do both ugly front end 280Z and like to get the 240 style! but yeah i just needed to know if u needed all the brackets thats why i asked~ and change the whole bumper! iam keeping my eye out for a Nice 240Z bumper not in a hurry either~