HybridZ

What Power Steering setup do you have on your Early Zs

I use the Swargzenegger plan. 20 bicep curls three times a week.

If you replace all the rubber pieces in the front end, especially the steering rack bushings and the steering coupler, with more solid pieces, the steering effort will be considerably reduced. Can't believe power steering is really needed for the early 240's. Just more complexity and more weight.

I will be drifting the Z, id ive had BAD experiences with drift a car with no power steering ( I kinda hit a watch tower at the last track even I was at try to drift a 240sx with the power steering removed!) And Its alot easyer to controll drifts when you have the steering working with you and not agenst you.

I have a Ford T-Bird/Mustang rack conversion like Blueovalz did. He has nice writeup somewhere. I used tie rod ends instead of heim joints. So far, very few miles on it but it works great. I used the stock LS1 PS pump. Blueoval runs a 315 wide tire up front and I have a 275/40/17s. Power steering is not required for this tire but it sure is a lot nicer. As far as weight, pump, fluid and aluminum rack weigh about 15 lbs more than the stock setup. Not a huge weight penalty IMO.

If you're looking for turning radius, I'd say go w/ the 240SX. I'm not sure about the differences b/w the S13 & 14, but I absolutely love the turning radius of my S13.

There isn't a whole lot of feedback, and it's a little too light, but w/ a smaller diameter wheel should help out a little. If you're wanting quick steering, get the WRX or the Evo steering rack; if you're wanting a tight turning radius, get the 240SX rack.

I'm PLANNING on the S13 rack, but we'll see.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

240sx with Power Steering Removed is probably 5 times harder to turn than a stock 240z.

How do I know? I went from driving one to the other... I couldn't believe how it easy it was to turn my Z.

I had to remove the power steering in my 180sx because the turbo got in the way of it. It was a straightline car, so I sacrificed. It was a BITCH to turn the wheels, thats for sure. Reason why? Power steering racks aren't supposed to be un-powered.

The Z has a manual steering rack and it much easier to turn.

I believe the Ford racks offer different ratios, so keep this in mind if you consider this. I had to reduce the rack movement (with spacers at each end inside the boots) due to the inside of the tire hitting the T/C rod at full lock. With that said, returning to the OEM steering rod (longer than the competition rod), I still have less than 2 turns lock-to-lock. This makes for a bit too much sensitivity on the highway and at high speeds, but for solo and drifting, I'd think it to be ideal.