HybridZ

Finally blew the T5...

Jersey

Dragraced over the summer near 50 runs, bangin gears often on the street for the last 2 years, I take it out of the garage today for the first time in over 2 weeks, jumped on 3rd gear building around 18psi and WAMMO! Guess it's better to have happened now and not in the middle of summer. lol. O'well, guess it's time to pack it in for the winter, rip it all down and start the winter projects on it... and oh yeah, look for another T5 or something better :)

I think the beatings at the strip finally took it's toll. I wish i had $ right now to go the TKO route, which would be the way to go i think but, guess i'll see what can be saved over the winter. Funny, for the last month or so, i've been thinking that maybe i'd sell the Z and get an old mustang or camaro and build that up nice with a TT or something. Guess my Z heard me thinking. lol.

Jersey- I talked to a guy that works at a tranny shop and he was telling me that the T-5 was junk and the stock 5 speed in a ZX was a better trans.He was saying that the T5 in the Zs were in his shop ALOT more than the stockers and with the ratio of stockers to the T5 its not normal. Now please everyone dont jump me,I personaly have had no exp.with one other than I was intrested in one but all the T5s I ever shifted had alot of slop(which I hear Is a normal tendency with them thats why I stuck with a stock ZX trans). I personally would ask all the road racers on this forum for a little insight considering those guys will shift how many times in a race? Oh, were you running synthetic? I found a WORLD of diff with synthetic in trans and rear end. Sorry to hear about that though but like you said at least its winter. Good luck though bro.

Most of the Mustang guys I knew that broke T5`s were hard shifts into 3rd.A friend was wanting to go with a budget semi - tough tranny.The Mechanic who put my T56 behind the L series motor suggested using a World class T5 from a later model Mustang 5.0 as these were the strongest T5`s.A custom clutch disc will have to be made and spacing issues with the input shaft will have to be dealt with as well as driveline issues. I would imagine He will be using my 2600 lb pressure plate and flywheel with a custom Kevlar clutch disc.

http://www.10000rpm.com/ will custom fabricate Kevlar clutch discs.I am planning on using one of there Pro Stock twin disc clutches in front of the T56 as I am tired of pulling the tranny/clutch every 5,000 miles due to wear from my current 2600lb pressure plate and sintered iron clutch disc.The clutch disc actually wears the contact surface of the Aluminum flywheel and the pressue plate.The twin disc clutch should be easier to drive on the street as well.The sintered iron clutch is more of an on/off switch now.

Guest De Schmaydee

....i dont think any T5s were "that tough"...2-3 of 'em were maybe 400hp in some 90's cars...dunno....but none of those come close to fitting a zcar....

never heard of anybody getting a T56 onto an L28et (anybody dunnit)...

jeffp did all the stuff to get a tko into his i believe .....he's running pretty big hp and uses a quaife lsd.......he'll prbly tell you who made/modified his tko to get it to where it'd bolt up ...T5s are great......but arent heavy enough for a lot of drag racing....IMO

quaife trannys are good....... but hard to find at the salvage yards..... hehehehe

.......s

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/album?.dir=15c7&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

My 510 has had a T56 in it for several years.What I meant by semi-tough is tranny that could take a reasonable amount of abuse in a z car.A World Class T5 is a stronger tranny than the T5 put into the 82-83 z cars.G Force currnetly makes a upgraded T5 kit http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp .For about the same price as a TKO.

Sorry guys, i meant i hope to be going the G-Force route, not TKO. 3rd gear really seems to be the weak link in these NWC T5's. Thats exactly what i shredded yesterday and the same gear my cousin tore up including a few others on this board as well. If i decide to go with the G-Force tranny, i'm sure my cousin will also, so maybe i'll post a message here to see if anyone else is interested at the time to buy one and do some type of group buy from them and possibly get some sort of price break. With the holidays coming up quick, "extra" cash is hard to squeeze past the wife right now :) but hopefully by march/april will be ready to do something.

Part of the problem w/the T5 may be the lack of overtravel syop in the shifter. Whatever you do with a T5-get a good shifter (the one for the Mustang works).

When I finally get around to my ground-up on my ZXT (after I build the '75 V8), I'll definitely be looking at all the strong parts...

Pro 5.0 on my cousins T5 and the stang shifter on mine. I don't think the shifter had much to do with stripping the teeth off of third gear on both trannys but, the Pro5 is nice because of it's stops which could prevent early synchro failure and the stang shifter definetely improves shifting smoothness. Both of our T5's blew just laying into the pedal in third gear, boosting and pulling pretty hard.

That looks like a great upgrade. Seeing as how I have a spare T5 sitting here waiting for a rebuild, I may take a shot at the G Force.

Only issue is the ratios. The G Force uses 2.94, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00 ratios for 1 thru 4 and 0.59 for 5th/OD (That's gotta be nice on the gas mileage).

The Nissan T5 uses 3.50, 2.144, 1.375, 1.00 and 0.78 ratios. Going from a 3.50 to a 2.94 1st gear would make the launches quite a bit different. You'd need to go up to a 3.90 rear end or shorter diameter wheel/tire combo (or both) to make up some of the difference. The good news is you'd get a better 1st / 2nd shift. It's a LONG way between 3.50 and 2.144 on the stock T5!

Which in the ZX's is only rated at about 250ft/lbs. I don't recall the vehicle weight off the top of my head though.

T5 = Driven Hard... Shifted Softly...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/album?.dir=15c7&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

My 510 has had a T56 in it for several years.What I meant by semi-tough is tranny that could take a reasonable amount of abuse in a z car.A World Class T5 is a stronger tranny than the T5 put into the 82-83 z cars.G Force currnetly makes a upgraded T5 kit http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp .For about the same price as a TKO.

With the wheel combo i'm running right now - 215/15/50 - first gear on the G-Force would be great. First gear is way too short on the T5, for me anyway. I plan on going 225/16/45's which isn't much of a diameter change so i think it would work out real nice with the 2.94 first on the G tranny. The real stretch i feel is between the 2nd and 3rd shift on the T5 which looks a lot nicer with the G-Force. Just wish i had some cash right now to but it! Lol. Anyone running the G, let us know what you think of it.

What you will find with the gForce gearset is that it requires the use of a WC T5 gear case, which the Datsun piece is not. Also, the input and output shafts are much larger than those on the Datsun T5, so much so that the upgraded output shaft will not fit through the Datsun tailshaft, even with the seal removed. :shock:

What we had to do to get this to work was to add material to the tailshaft and then machine a new hole that allowed the use of a WC T5 tailshaft seal. Here are some pics:

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

Also, you will have to ditch pretty much everything from your original Datsun T5, except the bellhousing and the tailshaft housing. If you are interested, I can get you in touch with the guy I had put mine together - he's currently doing one of these for another forum member.

Thanks Tim for the info. So you need use the WC gearcase mated to the NWC bellhousing and modified talshaft housing from the T5? Do you know which WC gearcases need to be used? I'm asuming that the NWC BW bell and tailshaft housing bolted right up to the WC case? Thanks for any more info you can supply Tim.

Thanks Tim for the info. So you need use the WC gearcase mated to the NWC bellhousing and modified talshaft housing from the T5? Do you know which WC gearcases need to be used? I'm asuming that the NWC BW bell and tailshaft housing bolted right up to the WC case? Thanks for any more info you can supply Tim.

Yes, that's right - the bellhousing and tailshaft did bolt right up. As I recall, we used a gear case from a Mustang WC T5.

Also, the overall length and shifter placement remained the same as the original Datsun piece, so it ends up packaging pretty much exactly like the Datsun T5.

On the gForce phone issue - my builder doesn't get the gearset from them - it appears that he uses the same supplier that they were using. I know he just got a new gearset in like two days ago - just talked to him yesterday.

If you'd like to talk to him directly, try calling Kevin at:

The Gear Box

26405 Northline Rd

Taylor, MI 48180

(734) 946-6088

...you might end up having to wait until the first of the year - I think he's going out of town for Xmas.