HybridZ

Stupid rust. Frame rail welding advice?

• 2 months later...

i know this is an old thread but i used the search feature and thought this would be a good thread to ask my question...

i want to remove my stock framerails on my 1971 240z. floorboards look good so i am going to leave those alone. what is the best way to remove the stock framerails? should i drill out the spotwelds with a spotweld bit? any suggestions?

also can someone provide me with a good picture of how they connected their subframes to the engine framerail behind the t/c bracket? oh i have already studied pparaska's and tim240z's sites and did not see a real clear picture on how this was done.

thanks

:confused2 I have done a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for. Saw this thread and thought I would ask my question from you all. I am putting in a 2 and 1/2" thick walled squared tubing to connect the frame with. Can I put this in without cutting the floor boards? I was planning on laying them on top of the floor boards and welding them to the floor (tack welding every 1'' by 1" long on both sides with both ends welded all the way around). This is a track only car. Or do we have to cut the floor boards and put them in? Thanks, Rich.

I've used 3M weld thru coating and it works good. I believe it is just sprayable zinc coating.

I've used 3M weld thru coating before and the can ALWAYS clogs before you even get halfway thru it.

Shake really well before use (it's probably been on the shelf for months)

Turn can upside down after each use and clear the nozzle (puff can 101)

i know this is an old thread but i used the search feature and thought this would be a good thread to ask my question...

i want to remove my stock framerails on my 1971 240z. floorboards look good so i am going to leave those alone. what is the best way to remove the stock framerails? should i drill out the spotwelds with a spotweld bit? any suggestions?

also can someone provide me with a good picture of how they connected their subframes to the engine framerail behind the t/c bracket? oh i have already studied pparaska's and tim240z's sites and did not see a real clear picture on how this was done.

thanks

i will take some more pictures after work if i have some time, im replacing all of the rails except for the t/c bracket part (it was the only part that wasnt messed up) hopefully it will help. once you get it cut out its not hard. i know how you feel though. my site has some pictures but ive done a whole lot since these. ive redone some of the welds because one of them was bad and ive replaced a lot more stuff.