HybridZ

Calling all CA residents: Emissions questions

Kazuya1274

I may be moving to the Los Angeles area next year, if everything goes well in this job interview thing. Got the chance to go out there for my last interview. And I saw all the emissions testing stations there while driving around. In the quest for simplicity and ease of taking it apart, I opted to remove some of the emissions equipment from my ZX. Here in KS its not that big of a deal. The charcoal canister, PCV, and EGR have been removed. The first two are easy to put back on, but the EGR will require me to either use another manifold altogether, or cut the EGR off of one manifold and re-weld it back on to my ported out, webless runner one.

We all know most of this emissions equipment is a band-aid for the lack of good ECU processing power. I will be upgrading to a MS or SDS in the near future. New cars do not even have an EGR valve, because modern ecu's can adjust the fuel curve to render them useless. An aftermarket ecu surely has this power, right? The only problem is, I've heard you need a visual inspection before the actual emissions test. Even if my car is capable of passing the emissions test, it won't even get past step one, since they will notice it doesn't have this or that on it. Even if I do put all the stuff back on, the awkwardness of the install might set off alarms just by looking at it.

My question is, should I go through all this trouble just to "hopefully" pass the test? Or will they let me slide on the visual inspection as long as the car passes the sniffer test in the end? All my info on this is picked up by word of mouth, so all of my facts may not be straight on this.

I know I could get a 240Z and swap my engine over and not have to worry about emissions, but I don't have the money to purchase one right now, won't have much time to swap the engine over there while I'm working, don't know anywhere to go for help, and I put a lot of time and effort to get my ZX to where its at, and hate to gut it and junk it.

What I am looking for is for the ones who live there, maybe they could share some of their knowledge on the testing procedures, and kinda point me in the right direction of what I should do.

Actually, you could not be further from the truth when discussing the emissions equipment you removed from your car!

Each has a specific function that can NOT be addressed by the ECU at ALL unless you have some very compex subroutines in the way you sequence timing percylinder based on combustion temperatures and peak cylinder pressures...

The EGR on the Z is a NOx reduction device, and MANY vehicle manufacturers still use it as an efficient way to decrease combustion temperatures at light throttle condition without punitive spark retard. UNless the engine is designed from the ground up to be of a Low NOx production design, there is no way around it to keep partial throttle NOx emissions lowere than by the introduction of EGR.

The PCV is simply evacuation and captive disposal of the gearbox windage and promotes ring sealing. Nobody who makes serious HP runs without a real PCV, and in facs most drag racers on the professional level install SMOG PUMPS to use as a positive vacuum source for their engines. If they figure turniong a 5hp accessory is worth it, they must have found on a dyno the get back more than they consume with that particular mod!

The Carbon Cannister is another example of emissions components that are not ECU controllable. It collects and provides a mechanisim whereby you can keep captive gasseous emissionf (gas fumes) from entering the atmosphere, and purges the accumulated stored contents of the cannister to the engine while running to keep from relesing them uncombusted and catalyzed.

Every component you removed did nothing to increas your performance, and arguably did much to increase the pollution your vehicle emits. If you swap your engine over to the 240 you STILL must COMPLY with the regulations, you just aren't tested bi-annually. This does NOT exempt you. The ONLY people in the state of California withan Emissions EXEMPTION are people driving "E" plated governmental vehicles (nice how the lawmakers exempt themselves from the laws they promulgate, huh? "Let them eat cake!") and Military personnel stationed in the state who plate their cars in their stated home of record state.

Even though you don't have to Bi-Annually test, remember the era of "REMOTE SENSING" is upon us, they are doing SHAKEDOWN tests of the equipment, and will start installing it in places of "noncompliance" to get you driving unaware. Not having to bi-annually test does NOT stop you from being flagged and run into any one of a number of roadside dyno emission cehck stations along the roadside all over the state during every summer... You fail at ANY of these remote points, chances are you WILL fail to "Gross Polluter Status" and will be PERMANENTLY reintroduced into the SMOG program (regardless of vehicle age) with an additional treat of having to test ANNUALLY at your own expense for the next five years after the infraction, after which you go back to the bi-annual testing FOREVER!

EVERYONE else must comply with emissions standards. And with the new law that was passes (which I think takes effect in March) there MAY be a re-institution of INITIAL out-of-state Smog Testing to insure compliance before letting the vehicle initially register in the state. This would be a VISUAL as well as FUNCTIONAL test.

Unless you meet a few criteria, but I am not sure how this would apply to out-of-state initial registrations...

Long and short of it, you got to have all the stuff on your car to pass. Both a tailpipe AND a visual testing of the vehicle.

Welcome to California. Don't forget to register and to Vote. Follow Rep Mountjoy's legislative agenda (R-Monrovia) he is a champion for automotive sanity in CA and has been for years. Support him, he is about the only gearhead in the legislature!

Join and support SEMA they are the orginization that lobbied and got some lifesaving loopholes included in the last legislation that passed and is going into effect in March 2005.

Ok, what about the B.C.D.D (Boost controlled decelleration device) and the TVV? These are located on the intake manifold. I've seen most people with aftermarket ECU's remove these components. Will this be acceptable, or is this something they are looking for as well? Part of the B.C.D.D.'s operation is to control idle, but an aftermarket ecu will take care of that. Maybe I am only seeing pictures of cars from other states when I looked on the internet... Afshin's car in the new Sport Z is a good example of an emissions compliant ZXT, but he used the Z31 ecu. Is there any difference in using that compared to a MS or similar?

I have the stock turbo manifold that I could just put on. The problem is, it has a few more components that I don't think were on the NA model. I don't know how I'm going to explain at the emissions station that its an 81 NA car, with an 83 turbo block, and an 82 head, and its still running the NA computer. What a mouthful.

I'm actually up to the challenge of putting everything back on. I know it can be done, I just don't want to go through all the effort and get failed in the visual because it doesn't look "stock" and somebody thinks I "messed" with the equipment. Are ASE certified techs doing these inspections, or someone with little knowledge of cars? Knowing who I'm dealing with would help.

BTW, one of the reasons I cling to this car is that it has a solid roof, where as all the turbo models have T-top roofs. I hate T-tops! And non power sunroofs! Also, in case anyone was wondering, I'm not a promoter of pollution, or removing emissions equipment. I would never do this to my daily driver. Just in my mind the car is really too old to worry about anyways. I bet its acceptable passing numbers are muck compared with a newer car...

Smog Techs sometimes don't know the first thing about the vehicles they are working on---especially when it comes to older cars.

If they have even the slightest tinge of doubt, they will fail you and send you to a referee. Then they look even closer because if they pass a car that has been altered, and is a ringer from the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) sent out to trick them for even an honest mistake, they get NAILED with loss of their liveleyhood (revocation of Smog License) and a hefty fine!

You keep referring to "Aftermarket EFI" as if this whole charade is about actually CLEANING the air. It is NOT! Unless you can very carefully totally conceal the aftermarket ECU, and make it look TOTALLY BONE STOCK no matter how clean you run, you STILL FAIL!!!!!!!

Actual functional efficiency is beside the point in this pointless charade here in the Golden State. (They call it "Golden" because that's the color of bread, and Bread most accurately relates the condition of the legislators that promulgate these rules: "Half or Fully BAKED!) What they want is old cars off the road, and if they had their way, you wouldbe buying latest technology every 7 years. Regardless of your cost. Hey! THEY don't have to worry about what it costs---they can simply raise more taxes...

It's a sad disconnect between reality and the people on the hill in Sac'to...

If you get lucky, and it pipes clean and the EGR vavle opens like it should and it passes the functional tests without attracting any attention to it, you are golden.

But if you open you mouth and start saying "I did this and this and this..." you are only ASKING for trouble.

I don't know if the BAR Computer verifies the VIN as to Turbo or not. I should be able to, and tell the smog tech that you have a non-stock engine in there when they see the turbo.

What I would suggest is that you make the car as close to stock and stock looking as you can---using all the ZXT parts. Keep it registered as long as you can where you are currently unitl you are READY to do the test, or get busted and have to license in CA... If you are in LA, I have several ZXT's you can scrounge from, they are only parts donors for me! Get it looking sotck, and then keep your mouth SHUT, and take it to a Smog Station for a "PRE TEST" If it passes, and the Smog Tech will (HAS TO) tell you if it's going to pass. Then pay the money for the pre-test, have him run it through the test again officially, get the certificate receipt (they send that electronically to Sac'to) and THEN start the registration on your vehicle like you drove there YESTERDAY.

This way, you will know ahead of time if you will pass or if you will have to go to a referee station. If you do, no biggie, there is some "engine swap" paperwork you will have to do---as long as you pass their visual and functional testings, they will re-issue a sticker for your door, that says you should be tested as an 81 ZXT, and you're through.

It was (in the old days) easier to get a 73 Z with an LS6 454 Corvette Engine in it smogged than it was with a functioning 71 L24 in it! Once you get the BAR sitcker for engine change, you will be set from there on it.

Like I said, if they catch it, you have a hassle and paperwork, and no way around it. Not a biggie, just more flaming hoops to jump through.

If they don't, you then have the argument that "it passed the last time and nobody said anything about it!" argument. Your saving grace is you have an 81, and the turbo was available that year---so you may slide through un-noticed.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Look me up when you get here---I would welcome someone cleaning out some of this ZX trash from my back yard (so would the wife!)LOL

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have a better understanding of things now. I only speak of the aftermarket ecu so much because it seems the best or easiest way to operate the 390cc injectors I have in an efficient manner.

I've just heard some crazy stuff from others in relation to passing the tests. Goodbye camshafts, thats for sure. My friend said that he used to be a member of the San Diego Z car club, and a guy failed emissions just by putting a lighter flywheel on. I don't even want to think about that one...

Tony D, thanks a lot, I would love to relieve you of some of your ZX junk! I'll know more of where I'll stay if I get the job offer, but probably around the S. Bay/Torrance area, starting in July.

I can hook you up with an impound yard in the area you plan to settle in if that's accurate.

You can get a towed ZX for around $200, and scavenge what you need from it.

Same yard where I got most of the junk in the back yard now.

A lightened flywheel will not cause a fail unless there is something else severely wrong.

Mine has passed several times with a lightened (and super light actually) flywheel.

One has a 13#, another has an 8#. Though the 8# car has to be in top tune, and the tech has to nuderstand the car reacts VERY quickly to throttle inputs (4.11 gearset!)

My bud in Phoenix didn't tell the smog meatheads that during his test, and they jumpped his car right off the rollers into the dyno fan!

I told him "get them to fix your hood" but he pussed out...