HybridZ

anothrerwontstartandmykeyboardisshot

The car is a 82 280zx turbo, with a no start. Stock electronics, problem started when the AFM got wet, car ran as would be expected with a wet afm.

Dried afm, still no start, had a cheap after market, CHTS, thought it might be that so bought a new Nissan unit. still no start. Cleaned afm thoroughly, dried and new plugs and started over still no start. Great spark, fuel a plenty, yet nothing.

I removed the fuse from the fuel pump, pulled all plugs, blew out the cylinders, replaced plugs, started the car, no start, again no start, then third try it started, without a fuel pump running, stayed running for 5 minutes.

Hooked fuel pump back up, car flooded and died. According to the fuel pressure gauge, the fuel pressure was dead on at 36lbs. w/vacumn removed.

Could my AFM now be shot? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Update, from what I have gotten from the FSM the AFM isnt bad less the one part of it, which is the air temp sensor. The FSM states that the reading should be between 2.1-2.9 ohms. I have a reading of 3.5 ohms.

The rest of the AFM tested well.

Also on the new Nissan CHTS I had gotten I tested it as well as per the FSM, 2.1-2.9 ohms as well, it read yesterday at 5.5 ohms, now the FSM also has a

chart with ohm to temperature reading, and it should have been at 5.5 ohms with the temp at 32 degrees.

So there Im a bit confused.

Now would the air temp sensor if it is bad as the FSM says, would it cause the care to flood out as it has been doing? I would think it is more then just that because when I do get it running, (that is I have to remove the plugs, clean and dry them off, blow out the cylinders of gas) it will start after a few tries with the fuel pump unplugged.

Once I plug the fuel pump in it gets extremely rich and kills the motor. Now the AFM did get wet, but I dont get how it is running so badly when it was perfect just two days ago, is it just that it might have shorted the air temp sensor, could that be causing all of these problems?

I did try to adjust the AFM but had no response from it at all, Im thinking im just needing a all new AFM since I cannot even find a air temp sensor anywhere.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about the air temp sensor being the cause.. but could be part of the problem.. it 'works' by changing resistance (ohms) with temperature, and whatever resistance it 'sees' it tells the ecu.. something. ( :lol: sorry, couldn't think of any other way to say it) I supose you could check it by setting it in front of a heater/heat source beside a thermometer. Then take a reading at difrent temps and compare to the chart in the FSM. Thing is though...I find anytime electrical componants get wet, funky things happen..

I'd try to swap in a known good AFM for starters.. I got one for a ZX from my local nissan dealer. Apparently, it had been sitting on a shelf for years.. it was used by the techs as a 'test' afm back when the zx's were fairly current, (what.. 20 years ago I guess?) and afm related problems were ussualy the first thing to happen. I made a 'friend' of one of the shop guys and got it for $75 cash.. (I'll sell it if you want, as it's useless to me in my SU'd 280z)

Strange that it would run for so long withOUT the fuel pump on though... this is a shot in the dark.. is the fuel return line cloged maybe? May explain where the fuel came from to run the car with no pump.. Or maybe the fpr IS faulty and allows too much presure when vac. is attached to it, and causes the flooding..

No the fuel pressure is good and been checked with a pressure gauge, and wouldnt the pressure show on that gauge if the return was clogged?

I understand what you mean about the air temp sensor, I did have one but I sold it like a dumbmy though or I would have it to test. There is a good yard here that has one for me for 40 dollars, so the are reputable, and will take a retrun if it is a failed part no questions.

I did also find that really weird how it was running like that unless on the other note it was just sucking past the fuel pump but that would be strange as well, sucks as it was all good till the moment I hit that huge puddle.

Thats what I get for taking her out in the rain lol.