HybridZ

its weird that..

Guest 83supaZ

Guest 83supaZ

its weird that all of you keep bragging on how cheap junkyard 350s are... when i call anywhere in south georgia the junkyards act like they want to keep it... or either rape you to let you take it.. lol. i had to buy a whole car just to get a 305.. and i honestly dont think im going to like the power with it... its an 86 trans am.. switching it over to carb from tpi so it will actually fire up (has ecu probs) but it has no title.. should i fix it and try to sell it? then use that money to find ANOTHER car with a 350? or could the 305 be beefed up enough that i could get a bit more power than a stock 350?

get the car ready for the engine or get the engine ready for the car.

My little 305 made 230 RWHP with a .454 lift cam and a performer rpm through a 700R4. shoved the car around really good. I let a friend drive it and he bought the engine for 500.00. near as I know it's still smoking tires and tearin' up stuff in a 914 in Houston. I have no problems with a 305. It does cost about as much if not more than a 350 to build. so if it needs a rebuild, use it as a mock up block. If not freshen it up and get the car on the road. you'll be happier with a running car with a 305 than with a loonnngg term project with a 350 sittin' on a stand.

good luck

Guest 83supaZ

yeah im thinking of selling the trans am body or motor.. possibly both (but seperate) and trying to find an older van or truck w/a 350.. also.. when taking the TPI off today.. i took the oil cap off and noticed it looks kinda like gunk down in it.. im hoping it hasnt all sludged up.. if it has.. what should i do? take the heads off and clean it all out... but then what about the block? should i try and find a 350 block (im thinking the crank will fit from the 305.. ) and swap all of my 305 parts that will work over to the 350? also.. i saw an article about someone putting 302 heads on a 351 ford... i guess to raise compression? if i ported the 305 heads and everything would they work on a 350 motor ok? i know 305 bore is 3.75" and a 350 is 4.0" so new pistons would be a must... give me some input on what i should do if once i tear the heads off all the oil is just.. sludge (how much is a 350 block on avg?)

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

A 305 crank won't work in a 350 block, and 305 heads are junk, even ported. You can get high compression by putting them on a 350, but compression doesn't always equal power.

I would suggest that you find a good running vehicle with a 350 and scrap the 305 altogether. I bought an '87 Chevy Van with a 350 for $100. I've bought MANY vehicles similar to that, and I can count at least 5 local vehicles with 350's for sale for <$500, and that's just what I've noticed without even looking.

I recently GAVE a 305 with only 4000 miles to a friend because I didn't need it (I'm installing it in his Nissan truck), and I was GIVEN a 2 year old 305 by a friend who owns a shop because he couldn't get rid of it.

305's just don't make sense when 350's are plentiful.

Hmm.. the great "350 Vs 305" debate.. :lol: Well in many areas (mine anyway) the 305 is WAY more plentifull. And I have to agree that a 305 CAN be built and be a good motor. I think it's the other way around too.. 350 cam/heads on a 305 block=cheep power upgrade using stock parts. :twisted:

When I was looking for an engine for my RX7 project, I wanted a 350. Why? because it 'had' to be better than a 305 right? So I could say "yeah.. its a 350." :roll: whatever... I ended up buying a running 305/350th for $400. (after a tiring search for a 350) The guy thought it was a 350, was told by the previous owner of the truck it WAS, but when I came to pick it up (he pulled it out of the truck after I heard it run) he told me he checked the block #s, and turns out it was a 305. I decided well "It ran, had good compresion, and the guys being honest. I'll take it." I jamed it in my 'rex and it was a scarry ride. No mater how bad your math is, V8 + little car = FAST and FUN! After the cam went (some 305's are bad.. yes) I bought ANOTHER 305 to replace it for $75. Actualy.. the whole car.. I just pulled the motor and called a scrap guy... So.. I have to dissagree with the statement '305's don't make sence' because.. they do. Evryone and their brother wants a 350.. therefore you can get 305's for almost nothing (as has been stated) so WHY do you have to have a 350? The time and money you're going to spend looking for a 350 (which seems to be a problem.. where you live..) could in theory be cut down.. a lot.. by just using a 305..

Guest 83supaZ

true.. i could save time and money w/a 305 if it runs.. i didnt say i didnt want it.. its just if im going to spend the same amount of money (as its not going to stay stock for too long) why not spend the same money and get alot more HP out of it ya know.. also im not SURE this 305 runs.. it turns over (guy said it was the computer so i take his word and have edelbrock performer rpm and edelbrock performer 600cfm carb on order being shipped next week also distributor and FPR) i opened the radiator & there is little if any coolant in it which makes me wonder did it overheat and maybe warp the block or heads... also like i said when i took of the oil cap on the valve cover it looked like sludge down in there... i dont want to spend $82089832 trying to get the 305 to run if i can just find a older crap car/van/truck w/a decent 350... i have a 4.3L v6 in my silverado.. i was hell bent on making it have some power.. but i would spend twice as much doing that as i would just getting a 350 lol.

Some pretty good info. Trouble with 305's is people can't leave well enough alone. Put the 305 in and next thing you know someone will want 400 HP out of it. If you want that much HP, then one could argue the 350 will be cheaper than a 305.

Dan Juday sure has a gorgeous Z with a 305 in it. He has written some pretty interesting posts about how enjoyable the car is. It all depends upon what you want to do with the car and how well you stick to your plan.

My 305 eats up 350's and 400's in larger cars. The 305 can be a good engine if you build it to rev. I have $1200 in my 305, granted I did my own port and pollish and my own assembily. But with a 10:1 compression ratio and the right cam it can be a strong engine. BTW the only problem I had building the engine was that I used an '85 block, I will never build a bastard small block again with the dipstick on the pass side.