HybridZ

Which flywheel for LT1/T5? URGENT

Hey guys,

I have a 95ish LT1 out of a Chevy Caprice and a T5 which is missing it's TAG (it has a hydraulic slave setup and a Camaro bellhousing), and I'm trying to purchase a clutch/flywheel combination that will work for both. Unfortunately, I really need to figure this out quickly because the motor is sitting in the machine shop waiting for a rotating assembly balance. How do I identify the transmission, and for which applications do I purchase the clutch/flywheel?

Thanks sooo much,

Justin

Any 1986-1992 Camaro 153 tooth V8 flywheel will work with the 1995 LT1 with the T5.

The 1986-1989 Corvette flywheel will also work, and is the same as the 1986-1992 Camaro with the TPI engine.

The TPI Camaros and the Corvette use a lightweight flywheel (about 16 lbs). The TBI Camaro use a slightly heavier flywheel (24 lbs).

Having used both the lightweight flywheel, and the heavier flywheel, I prefer using the heavier flywheel as it makes the car feel smoother. However, the lighter flywheel will make the car feel more lively in the lower gears with the lighter flywheel.

Zerrari,

The flywheel Mike is refering to is for an externally balanced engine so it won't work on a pre 86 engine as they're internally balanced. The 400 SBC was externally balanced but then you run into the differences between the 1 and 2 piece rear main seals.

Wheelman

I am a little confused, but aren't all the SBC (except the 400), internally balanced, up to and through the LT1 (I am not sure about the LS1). If that is the case, then the Camaro flywheel should be internally balanced. You can buy an internally balanced 16 lb flywheel (GM Performance Parts) new from Scoggin Dickey (cheapest place I found, $180).

The internally balanced, 2PC rear seal is P/N 14085720

Externally balanced, 2PC rear seal P/N 3986394

With that said, I don't know what the 1PC part numbers are, but I recall seeing one available online at SD (www.sdpc2000.com)

Hope this helps...

Joshua

86+ 1-pc seal lightweight flywheel part number is: 14088646

• 2 years later...

Except if the 383 (or 400 like mine) is built with an internally balanced 3.75" stroke crank. The stock 400 crank was not balanced, and used an "unbalanced" damper and flywheel. If you go to an aftermarket crank, it is usually cheaper to go an internally balanced crank/rods/piston assembly and get a "balanced" damper and flywheel, if starting from scratch.

Sure I did. Someone linked to it from the other flywheel thread, and I saw that there was some overgeneralizing information about 400 cranks, so I wanted to make a clarification.

These threads get found from the search engine, and we should make sure that we always work to make the information correct, thorough, and up to date.

If it will bolt to the crank of the SBC, I believe that's true. It seems the imbalance, 1-piece seal, and crank/flywheel bolt pattern go with one another, so if it bolts on, it should work, unless you have a non-stock crank/rod/piston setup installed that has a different balance (i.e., a balanced rotating assembly, versus the stock 86+ internal "imbalance")