HybridZ

HAAAALP!!!!! Not Z, my nissan truck!@%# winter sucks...

Ok.. so I got's me a 4X4.. 93 Nissan King cab, V6 5 speed. all was well.. I even 'rescued' some friends of mine last night.. (their car's fuel pump died in the MINUS 37C FREAKING COLD!!) and my truck started fine. I drop them off, stop and put in $20 of fuel in, drive home and park it. Just for good measure, I stick a light bulb (trouble light) beside the battery as I don't have a block heater.

This morning (still -37C... not sure what that converts to for you guys in the states.. but exposed skin will get frostbite in about 1.5 mins.) My girl friends car BARELY turns over, her parents van is the same and her brothers ford Tempo(rary use) just cranks and dies. ALL these vehicles were pluged in through the night. I remove my light bulb, and get in my truck... turn the key.. fuel pump comes on, primes just fine and turns off like normal. All the lights work/come on on the dash. Radio/fan/ect work fine. Ok.. clutch in.. I try to start it, and get nothing. ?!?!?!?!!?! :evil: The lights don't even dim!! The radio keeps playing, the 'warning' lights on the dash don't even flicker. it's like I didn't even hit the key to the 'start' position. I get a 'click' from under the dash, but no starter noise. So I wack the starter with a screwdriver, curse and swear, and try it again. nuthing... I 'jump' the solinoid with my screwdriver.. (horay.. sparks! Guess I have power..) and the motor turns, but it's not cranking the engine.. so I get a ride to work (almost 2 hours late now) and when I get home tonite, it's the same. I even tried pushing it down the driveway and 'bump' starting it but no dice. HEEEEELLP!!! I am at a loss here.. I don't understand whats going on!

I should mention this 'thing' seams to have happend a few times recently, just not this bad. Every once in a while, I'd turn the key to 'start' and nothing would happen.. (just like now, evrything else just stays on, keeps working, like I didn't even try to start it..) It would be just long enough for me to say "What the fu..." and then it would start. ??? IE; I had to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds before anything would happen.. I was out there a while ago (yes, still - 30 DAMIT THATS COLD!!!!) and still can't get the starter to 'engage' the engine. Obviously there is power at the starter, seeing as I can jump it with a screwdriver and hear it spinning.. it's just not doing it from the key/ignition...nor is it 'kicking' out... A few ppl I've talked to today think I just have to replace the starter.. but ..I'd hate to find out after spending that $$$ that it's something else causing this no start.. Anyone?

Guest tony78_280z

Dang with those temperatures, I'd disconnect my battery at night, Take it inside and put it on a charger by the heater. I know the folks in Wisconsin plug their cars in at night to keep em charged. But it sounds like a battery problem to me.

I know that a low power battery can sometimes make the selinoid fire and make the bendix spin, but not push the bendix out. (starter fires and turns, but doesn't engage the motor and turn it over.) Of course a shot starter will do that too sometimes.

Have you tried starting it with a car/battery that you know is fully juiced?

Take the battery to Autozone and get it tested. If it's dead get a new one and/or a battery charger. Reserver a spot next to the heater =)

Sorry I'm not much help.

Well I wish it was a simple as a dead battery. And I can hear the ignition relay clicking under the dash.. Anyway, I got the thing going today, and I think it's a problem with the ignition cyl in the stering column... I turned it to start and nothing happend at first, (like yesterday, except it's only -2 today...wtf?) but as I was about to turn it back and pull the key out it suddenly fired up! So I shut it down and try again.. same thing as before, nothing happening. So I rock the key back and forth as it's held in the start position and it kicks over. Huh?!? Maybe it was just a coincidence that this problem reared it's head yesterday.. the coldest day of the year so far.. or maybe it WAS caused in part BECAUSE of how cold it was.. evrything was so cold that the ignition cyl. wouldn't rock enough to 'make' that loose contact? Possibly the ignition/key componants are just worn out? (truck has 272K's on it.. previous owner worked construction with it.. ) Figures.. it just HAS to do this right before xmas.. and I have to work overtime evry night this week.. AND I'm not stressed out enough to begin with.... Stupid truck.. :roll: