HybridZ

plan to turbo my bike

scottyMIz

hey guys i am planning on turboing my 2004 zx10r ninja i have a small turbo from a diesel ranger.It should be just about right for the bike and i plan to run from 5-7psi of boost.I think the compression ratio on the bike is 12:1 i can check to be sure.What do you guys think?Bike was dyno'd at 150rwhp i am aiming for around 200rwhp.I am getting a power commander for the fuel issues but it doesn't adjust the timing.I was thinking about a haltech for the bike too but it would be very hard to tune on the road :) I could however tune it on the chassis dyno about 15 mins from my house.

Go for it! A local buddy of mine here in Ontario fabricates turbo kits for resale in the States. Currently for Busa, R1, GSXR, and Vrod. He has a GSXR1000 with a GT25R on it, it runs 220 RWHP at 6 psi on the stock engine. That's about the limit with stock compression on the Gixxer, it has an air/water IC on it. It's a real handful with the stock swingarm. The shop owner has a 540RWHP Busa running a GT35/40R on a 1348cc engine.

I had a GPZ750 Turbo in the 80's, it was a real blast to ride. Coming onto boost in a corner was a bit of a problem, bike would suddenly go wayyyyy wide without a lot of warning.

Keep us posted

Doug

not nuts just a speed freak :) Thanks for the info doug i have a spare ic laying around and i thought about maybe making it go where the air box use to and having the ram air duct cool it.I'll know more when i dig into it but it will be soon.Also have plans for a new turbo on the z for this winter if everything goes as planned.Roman yes the bike is scary but after running a 9.92@143mph it feels slow after a few runs.I do have it lowered so it doesn't pull up unless i want it to now.It use to just pick the front end up with me laying on it before.Man i love this bike :)

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

That's my wife's dream bike. Truth is, she'd probably settle for a 636. I don't think I could ride one because I have bad hips. I need something a bit roomier like a Busa, ZX-11, or Blackbird. My dream bike is a turboed Blackbird. Right now we have a Bandit 1200, '76 KZ900 1075cc drag bike, '78 KZ1000, '80 KZ750, '95 GSXR 750, and a backyard built metric bobber. We're trying to move towards a newer bike for her, but I'm fine with old shit.

FYI on the ZX10... Buddy of mine at work dropped his in a parking lot doing less than 25MPH and BENT THE STEERER On the Frame... Totalled it. These new breeds of flyweight sportbikes are so delicate that it isn't just about replacing expensive plastics and controls anymore. Guy I mentioned above walked away without so much as a hard RUB on his leathers, and the driver of the car he avoided didn't even SEE any damage other than a broken brake lever and a cracked lens (Frame sliders REALLY HELPED HERE!).

However, under further inspection, frame was tweeked and bike was totalled... Brand new 04 WITH the front wheel recall corrected... I saw the bike and was speechless at the damage this simple low speed fall caused...

THat said, a Turbo'ed ZX10 would be the POO... I rode ANOTHER buddies (My friend with a 2002 Z06 Vette) and his ZX10 made so much power, It kept me on my toes... I could see rear traction being a huge problem at track days!

Mike

hey mike i let a friend ride mine and he dropped it going about 15 mph or so and all it did was scuff up the plastics and rub some of the end link off.The bike took the fall very well and still rides like a dream.I now have new plastics on the whole right side and since i am turboing it i am gonna take the scuffed stock pipe off and just run a straight pipe from the turbo.