HybridZ

Fragged the 383 again!

Guest zfan

Well I spun a couple of rod bearings a few months ago and this time had a reputable shop build my 383 mainly because I did not have time.

They turned the crank, fly cut the pistons for big valves, resized the rods, also replaced the number 7 rod, all new bearings, Total seal rings and file fit others. Probably am missing other things.

400 to 500 miles and easy break in and low and behold my friend is driving my car and he calls and says the car is suffering from low oil pressure readings and a clicking noise upon de accelerating.

I drive over to his shop and check the car out and sure enough it has crapped out again. I drained the oil that I changed just 150 miles ago and pulled the Distributor (it was a real pain to get out) it was hard because of all the trash on her.

Looks like the turd spun rod bearing or bearings again. My friend who has connections with the shop who built it called them and they said to pull the motor and leave it in tact and bring it in.

I dropped it off today and plan to not spend a dime. They put it together so they can fix it right this time. Sorry for the venting. I am so pissed. This damn car must be possessed.

Mike

Well The shops name is Plano Aut supply. I will say they were quick to say bring it back and 3 of my friends have had them build their short blocks and have never had a problem one so I by no means are dogging them.

It just is frustrating and this will be the 3rd 383 in one year!!!!!!!!!!! First one was great until the oil pick up dropped and this time I don't really know why other than bearings were not seated or proper size?

Maybe this time the 3rd time will be a charm! Before the motor fragged it was a real beast to drive. Man 10's would be a piece of cake!

Mike

Guest 77vegasz

I am working on 383 #2 for the year, I feel your pain. I had a beautiful 327 that I pulled and put in my 1980 Camaro, I am about to pull it and put it back into the Z!

Jon

Damn Mike, hope everything works out. I finally got used to the convertor. What a difference. The GTech says I do 0-60 in 3.53 seconds....does that sound possible? Dunno but it sure does run lots better than before. Its almost like we have one long gear thru 4th....

Terry

Thanks Terry,

Before the problem could come back and bite me in the butt I got a chance to race a T56/DZ302 with a B&M supercharged 1971 240Z. It's my friends Dads car. What a race or should I say 3 races!

I came out on top each time but he was pretty fast. They were my closest races to date. I only beat him by maybe 1 to 2 car lengths.

I am hoping to be back on the road by mid January.

Mike

Pretty simple set up. 385 sbc, 4 bolt 010/020 block .40 over, Eagle 400 crank, eagle rods, probe forged pistons fly cut for big valves nets 11 to 1 compression. Comp cams extreme energy hyd. roller cam 236/242-553/540 at 110 lobe sep. installed 4 degrees retarded to get it to zero cam timing as comp build 4 degrees advance in their cams. 1.50/1.60 roller rockers. Canfield 200cc heads, Victor jr. intake/ported, Holley 750 dp, all MSD ignition, Hooker super comp long tubes.

Tranny is a built 1989 700r4 and a edge 9.5" 3500 rpm stall converter. Rear end is a 1987 300ZXT LSD 3.70 with BFG's 235/60-15.

This car is a docile car to drive around and when you want to let her rip you do. Simple as that. Not the fastest car around but pretty quick. Will give fits to the Mustang & Camaro guys and thats what counts!

Mike

Well talked to the people at Plano Auto and they are trying to now play the blame game. They stated that they don't know how the motor fragged but are whining about too much timing and did we over rev the thing.

I never over reved it, hell it has a rev limiter anyway. Then they said I must have had 50 to 60 degrees of timing in it. WRONG, 32 degrees total timing verified by 3 timing lights.

All the bearings are shot, were talking they claim all rod and main bearings fragged. Well sounds like a bad build or Clevite turned out some crap bearings.

It's in there hands if they do not fix it free of charge then I will pick my motor up and do a charge back thru Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike The Venter..Sorry!