HybridZ

modern-ish body kits?

Guest ahyc84

I'll stick my nose in here again. When I built my first dam, similar to Owen's, I mounted it using only the upper portion to attach it to the chassis, and then two points about mid-way down where I believe the horn brackets were. It held up fine against the air drag, but showed some weakness if I bumped the leading edge on a curb. What ended up happening was that any rearward movement at the bottom of the dam would transfer to the headlight buckets by moving them up and back, along with the fender. A hard enough push on the dam would permanently distort said metal parts. I eventually welded two 1/2" tube extensions from the forward ends of the frame rails (or any part of the lower core support should work) forward to the lowest portions of the dam to support it more rigidly should I bump the curb again (it took a while to "remember" the new lower and longer overhang). And yes I did bump the curb again, and the glass cracked a bit, but this was a lot easier to fix than the steel headlight bucket or the front of the fender.

I'm building the dam myself and what is pictured is actually the negative mold, still unfinished.

I was thinking of doing what Terry described, mounting same as the MSA dam but adding two bars, parallel or triangulated back to the front cross member. Maybe I should use tie wraps like some racers, a crash would tear off the dam but prevent damage to the body...but I don't want to lose my air dam at every bump either!

Since they will still be connected to the headlight buckets maybe some added reinforcement to the back of the bucket area as well? Just tack weld in a strip of metal?

Owen

holy sheit. i forgot about this thread almost completely. Since winter kicked in fully, i forgot about my beloved s30 since i couldn't work on it in the snow and all :P

but wow. lots of nice ideas, i talked to my buddy who used to own a body shop, and he pretty much shot my idea down of making my own kit. so i might just modify my own :P

but could those of you awesome people who posted pics, please include names of them !!! lol. just posting pictures just gets me all worked up and then i'm like "shit, now how am i gonna get one of those with just the pictures" :P

isn't this one jsut a stock bumper off of one of the s30 series? i'm still a noob on some stuff. plz excuse me :)http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/237000-237999/237263_1_full.jpg

owen, love that bumper. but ya like u said. lip is a lil short :P i sorta like the snow plow thing on the s30, it doesn't suit too much cars. but on the s30 with side skirts(right ones) it'd look pretty nice. and sorta cleanstock too. I dont' wanna make the car like "all out" cuz i like sleepers :)

Magnum Rockwilder, what kit is that? looks not bad?

magnadyne, where did you get the catalogue for that impact parts website?

TIA guys. LOTS of help. seriousely :)

Guest magnadyne

Actually, I used to have a business selling parts for imports. I love cars and I really got into the technical side of modifying vehicles. Too bad the rest of my ares isn't as interested. :) They would rather buy cheap "coilovers" to lower their car in the summer & jack it up in the winter. Maybe even get some of those "cool" light up windshield squirters.

I may sound a little bitter. Heh :)

So, all that Ipact Parts stuff was left over from when I had my business.

I swore I would never try to help other people out with cars again, but the deeper I sink in love with Z's the more I think that I am not going to be able to keep my promise.

lol. ya u won't be able to. so where do u think i can get one of these catalogue?

cuz it's a lil hard to make a decision and judgement when i can't see the pics :P

thx :)