HybridZ

newbie questions for 350 v-8 swap ect.

hi, i am new to this forum and have just recently decided to convert my 1975 280Z over to v-8 power. i havent had to much time to browse through all of the info housed here so i am asking for just some basic info on some things. First of all i plan on using a used chevy small block engine. i have already upgraded my cars suspension and i plan on using shorty type headers, unsure about which brand right now, an edelbrock or possible a holley air gap- dual plane intake manifold, 4 barrel 600 cfm Holley carb,dual supertrapp mufflers, and a later model r-200 diff. one question of mine is that when using a 700 R-4 automatic transmission do i need a computer to control it , my buddy keeps telling me that it does but i am curious as to the specific years/models that that applies to. 2nd i was curious as to if a hurst or B&M type shifter would work well and be funtional as well as have a reasonable shifter heigth. Also i am curious as to if the original halfshafts from my '75 will still work and be the proper size with say a '82 r-200 rear. and are they strong enough, the halfshafts and the rear end, to stand up tho the horsepower and torque of a slightly modified 350. And i guess my last question is about the Z's unibody. does it need to be reenforced. or are my 3 link strut tower braces sufficient. any input you all have will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous

I know nothing about the 700R other then over hearing two guys talking about how one of them sucked they said one used a computer the other did not the one with the computer was no good

so Im guessing they had older models and some used computers some did not

thats only what I over heard so it could be no where near true

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

I think the 700r's are not totally computer controlled until later when they changed the name to 4Lxx series of transmission. The 700r's lockup was computer controlled earlier, but can be wired with a number of different gagets by all the auto trans aftermarket people to control the lockup in various ways. This is my understanding anyway.

Lone

Welcome to HybridZ!

I apologize that we don't have a better way for newbies to find stuff. The search engine works pretty good, but we need a SBC-> swap FAQ or a really good tech article. We plan to be working on that soon.

Anyway, I'll leave your 700R4 question for those in the know. There are several people here with aftermarket shifters also. They'll chime in, but search the site for B&M, Hurst, I'm sure some stuff will turn up.

Headers, Hooker's work, don't know about others, but there are a lot of block huggers out there. Lot's of discussion on this board about what types to use with what heads (angle vs. straight plug, etc.)

Supertraps - kind of loud in my opinion once you allow them to flow well.

The 280Z half shafts will work. You might need to take the side axles out (they pry out) and swap them to the 82 diff. There are plenty of people who have gotten them to live fine with mild to less mild 350s.

Check the chassis section of this site. Search for strengthening, etc. Lots of this has been covered.

Cheers,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

I use a Hurst Quarter Stick behind my 700R4. I like it.

My stock 76' 280 rear is holding up well so far to my abuse and the previous owners.

I did not do the 700R4 swap but...it does not have a computer. Others on the forums can help you out with the tech side.

I understand TCS has somehting that will allow you to use the lockup. My lockup works BTW.

------------------

RickB

280V8 http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov

[This message has been edited by RickB (edited December 07, 2000).]