HybridZ

dies sometimes

Guest zmettler

ummm, wow, ur post is helpful-u gotta describe the problem a bit better, wht usually happens b4 the car shuts off, does it start idleing really low, and then die, or wht. on ur exhaust is there alot of black garbage-wich means that ur running too rich, mayb a head temperature sensor problem.

u should also check the spark from the wires- hold it up against the exhaust manifold, and look for a blue spark, if its a yellow spark-its too weak and u need new wires or cap and rotor. If u dont get enough spark-then it mite b idleing too low and then just die out, im having an idle problem at the moment, and the spark plugs r the next thing to b replaced, other than that-i have a full new spark setup

BTW, wht is ur idle around, i believe the stock idle for a Z is around 1000 RPM

If ur idle is off, then that could help pinpoint y ur car dies

You said ur plugs were fouled, wich means theres alot of unburned gas in there, could mean bad spark, or bad mixture-having a bad head temp sensor can cause ur engine to flood itself, meaning that theres too much gas and not enough air-wich could explain y ur plugs r fouled.

i had the problem once b4

• 1 month later...
MY f150 did that and it turned out to be the igniter. When I got hot it shut the truck off.

I think BrandonsZ is right. On a ZX the ignition module is right on the side of the distributor. Usually it goes like this: drive around for a while, suddenly no spark and the car just dies. Let it sit for an hour or so, fires right back up and drives again until it gets hot, dies again.

Have you tried just waiting and then firing it again without cleaning the plugs?