HybridZ

Turbo Swap Starts Today!!

75280z

Well the main project anyway. I began pulling the L28et out of my 1982 280zxt.. Just thought i would let every one know, I will be putting it in my 1975 280.. If any one has any tips or cautions for me i would be glad to hear them. Other wise wish me luck, this is my first big project on the Z.. I am planning on keeping the motor under 10psi for now but who knows how long that will last.. My target is 200hp to the ground at the beginning and then contant ungrades from then on.. Just thought i would let people know what i am up too..

Congrats and good luck, I installed my turbo engine with the idea that I would be happy with the extra power, and I was... For a very short time! Caution, boost is addictive! :) 200hp to the wheels should be fairly easy to acheive. Of all my mods I think the biggest improvements came from three things...

3" mandrel exhaust

z31 ecu

re-chipping the ecu gave another good jump in power

I never dyno'd it but judging from the weight vs. 1/4mile et times it is about 220hp at the wheels. That's at 9psi with no intercooler.

Well it has been freezing cold here literally it finally got up to 32 degrees today.. And the engine is out, i will try to post some pics here pretty quick.. Thank you guys for the encouragement. Everything came out ok, I had to backtrack a couple times.. This isn't the easiest think i have ever done, especially since this is my first solo project ever.. Well wish me luck, i check the turbo for play tonight!!

I got my L28ET running today, trust me, it's a wonderful feeling to hear it run after all this hard work.. I'm running stock boost and stock efi for now. No cold start problems, runs like a champ, even with some of sensors disconnected.

Wiring is NOT TOO HARD, I just did it (a few hours ago) so if you need anything just ask, all the right info on how to do it on this site. Most important --- clean every connector and make sure you have good grounds everywhere... that's what screwed me up..

Yeah i am going with a bigger TB, and have to eliminate the cold start stuff, i dont think it will be to hard, just take some tweaking.. Man if the wiring only took you a few hours i might call you up, where do you live??that is the part i am dreading, i am doing some upgrades before i put her in the car, but i think it is going to be a very strong runner..well man i might be asking you some questions here in a few days, man it feels good to know i have help around if i need it..

Ohh i ran into a snag today, hurt myslef while working, i dont know if any one else has weak knees, but if you do you know what i mean when i say my knee popped out of socket and it hurt, but things are coming along..

Yes, I know how it feels when the knee pops out. I had the same thing happen when I was inside the bathroom vanity changing the faucets. It is the STRANGEST feeling and stays pretty sore for a few weeks. Get yourself one of those stools with wheels on them. Or a hanging swing harness like the mechanic in The Road Warrior....I think it was in that movie. I did a rough, cartoon-like, sketch of the wiring in my 83-76 turbo swap while I was doing the wiring. It made sense to me while I was doing the wiring but it may not make sense anymore....take a look at it anyhow.

You should be able to recognize the connectors from my sketch.

http://hvmp.com/dc/TurboZ-WiringDiagram-DRAFT-1.jpg

LOL it is scarry....the diagram even scares me. I drew it while covered in grease and soldering paste. The only thing I noticed missing is on the left relay, fuel pump relay, I don't show any 12v switched connection to pull in that relay....I can't remember why. I must have just tied it to the "new wire *1" that runs from the coil "vertical blade" to pull in the FI relay.

EDIT..maybe not because, if so, the fuel pump would run whenever the key was on. In actuality, the pump runs only for about 5 seconds if the motor is not running...someone please explain. I used to use the Fuel Pump Module. The diagram assumes use of the module. Currently, I am running the pump right from the relay and the pump is grounded at the tank...no more module. The ECCS must be switching the fuel pump relay but I cant remember how I wired it. Either way will work but it's safer if the pump does not run without the engine running.

Guest slowrolla

So many people do the L28ET swap ( to 240, 260, 280 etc...) maybe some one should do a how to do write up ( wiring, all parts etc..) and make it a sticky. (hint hint...) :)

So many people do the L28ET swap ( to 240, 260, 280 etc...) maybe some one should do a how to do write up ( wiring, all parts etc..) and make it a sticky. (hint hint...) :)

I second that. I am going to do the L28ET swap later....and it will be so much easier for the newbie like me. I have no experience working on car before...and i got the 280Z so i can learn how to work/fix/mod.