HybridZ

225/60 or 235/60 on the stock turbo rims?

I am looking to replace my tires. I have found a great deal on Michelin Pilot XGT H4's size 235/60 r15 for $70. Or I can buy BFGoodrich g-force Sport's size 225/60 r15 for $79. My questions is what tire will give me better straight line traction? Will the larger tire do it or the stickier tire? Also has anybody ever put 235's on the stock turbo 15 x 6 rims? Thanks for your time.

235's seam a bit big for a 6" rim. The difference in the widths are close enough I would go for the stickier tire. Yokohama makes the AVS ES100 in a 215/60/15 which ahas a 280 tread wear. I have seen people autocross with them and was impressed with the amount of grip from a cheaper tire. The other two tires are wider but I beat the ES100's would stick better for straight line acceleration and they cost the same as the other tires you have listed. They would fit the rim size you have better as well.

I had Cooper Cobra's (which came on the car when I bought it and I hate them), they have a tread wear in the 400's which is close to the Michelin's. The problem with a high tread wear tire is the noise they produce when they break loose. If I start off from the line and spin the tires at all the tires howl very loudly, to the point I would get worried I'd attract any cops that could be near enough to hear me.

I would go for the ES 100's or any other tire you see close in size that has a low tread wear number. Tread compound will do more for the traction of a tire than the size (compareable sizes that is).

• 1 month later...

i got the 225/60 but will soon be putting 235/60 drag radials on. I want the taller tire so it will lower my final drive ratio. I don't have a speedo so I do not care if its messes it up. The g-force sport 225/60 on 10-12 psi are ok but now that i'm running 18psi its no fun on the street.:twisted: