HybridZ

zx rearend

Guest 83supaZ

I think a search will give you more exact answers.. :wink: And it's sort of a greay area without mor info.. you running an auto or standard? Do you launch it at the 1/4 mile, or tool around town? Either way, I think that is going to eventually break a stock R200 open diff.. it may hold up for a bit.. but in all reality, I think (at that power level) the half shafts are going to blow to bits first..

Guest 83supaZ

well its going to be a street car.. taken to the track every now and then.. not EVERY weekend but i want to run it a little.. its an automatic 700r4 tranny w/overdrive.. and where would i get more durable halfshafts? MSA? sorry.. im in the process of doing searches while reading your replies also...

Guest 83supaZ

i have an 83 280zx i thought they all came with r200?? also.. i found the answer.. an r200 will hold the torque/HP... its just the halfshaft u-joints.. where do i find "brute ujoints"? and what should i use when getting the driveshaft made... the 700r4 driveshaft with the 280zx input mounted.. or the 280zx driveshaft..with a 700r4 output mounted??

Be careful when you pick out a ZX rear. A lot of them come with the R180's. My 81zx 2+2 auto has an R180 in it. My two 81 turbos come with the R200s.

Oh yah.. I think only the AUTO zx's had an R180 though.. IIRC, all other models used the R200, although ratios changed depending on year and turbo/NA... As for half shafts, I'm pretty sure it's well documented here; there's a C/V shaft swap that is a little stronger than the u-joint shafts.

On the driveshaft thing, I don't see why it would matter much which way you did it.. I don't know for sure, but perhaps the chevy driveshaft is stronger?

yeah i was thinking the chevy driveshaft might would be stronger also.. ok.. ill search for cv shaft swaps.. thanks for the help..

Did the R200's even come with u-joint type halfshafts in the 280ZX's? I thought that the R180's only had the u-joint type halfshafts?

Here's a couple of links that should help.........I just typed in "neapco adapter" into the search engine....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=72355&highlight=neapco+adapter

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=82276&highlight=neapco+adapter

Guy

I did a little research here on the Diffys. Most autos come with the R180. I say most because my 75 auto come with a R200. My 76 4 speed has a R180. The turbos had an R200. Hope this helps. The autos have a 3.54 There could be more.

The following have R200s:

75-79Z (X) = 3.54

81-83 turbo = 3.54

81-83 non turbo 5 speed = 3.90