HybridZ

Smoothline Fiberglass Pricing and Possible Group Buy ?

Jason Jarvis

I just got off the phone with Gary at Smoothline http://www.smoothline.com current prices are listed below....

10601 Drivers side front fender - $250

10602 Pass. side front fender - $250

10612 Drivers side headlight bucket - $110

10613 Pass. side headlight bucket - $110

10611 Hood (280Z style with vent holes) - $250

Shipping estimated to me in North Carolina was around $130 to a business with a dock.

I raised the possibility of a group buy, and Gary said they could probably offer a 10% discount simply because they could pull the molds and make a run of parts all together. 10% doesn't sound like a lot, but for what I am ready to order it would be a $72 discount.

I would not handle ordering or money, I would just need to know that we will have at least 5 orders or so for each part included in the group buy, arrange it with Smoothline, then everyone would call and order and arrange payment themselves.

Lead time was quoted as around 8 weeks, as these are laid up to order. A small deposit may be required, with the balance due when the parts go into production, probably 6 weeks out.

Anybody interested ?

I would assume that the group buy would include each order being shipped directly to the owner from Smoothline. Is that correct? Because I could use fenders and h-light buckets

That is correct, the only way I would be involved would be to let them know that we have enough people to get the discount. So far it isn't looking good though, yours is the first reply here. I have received several inquiries, but very few people have been very serious about buying now. You and I are interested in fenders and HL buckets, a couple of others are serious about spoilers or spooks, but nothing has reached the discount point yet. I'll probably place my order early next week either way.....

Are these stock replacement fenders? (no over-fender at all)

Yep, supposedly when painted there is no way to tell it isn't a stock fender.

Honestly there hasn't been enough interest to get this together, and during the week I have been waiting I have started talking to John W. and am probably going to go with the Subtle Z front fenders anyway.

I'll probably still order headlight buckets from Smoothline....

Jason

I hate to bash Smoothline, but I was not happy at all with their product. I bought a pair of headlight buckets, and their rear spoiler, which is basically a BRE but a little taller (around 6").

The headlight buckets were absolutely horrible. I suppose I could have sent them back, but stupid me I painted before fitting (was in a bit of a time crunch) There was no way the headlights were going to fit, period. The openings were smaller in diameter, and there wasn't as much material between the top of the buck and the fender side (in other words too short) On top of that they did not conform to the fender, and when I tried to bend them out a bit and run a screw in from the inside of the fender, the tabs busted off. They were just aluminum tabs that were hotglued or something to the piece.

I did manage to use the spoiler, but not without alot of cussing and modifying. For mounting provisions, it was the same thing, two strips of aluminum glued to the inside with a kind of flexible silicone or something. Needless to say I did not trust them, and they were too easily removed. Luckily there was a pretty nice lip on the front that I ended up using to pop rivit it on, and for the back I bend up some 90 degree pieces, first rivited them to the tailgate, and then to the backside of the spoiler. The back also did not confrom to the curve of the tailgate, which I did correct with the mounting. Before I could even do that, it took about 4-6 hours of slowly grinding away parts of it, untill it fit, mainly on the sides where it hung over.

Oh, his turn around time was a good two months too.