HybridZ

Strut removal

Ok. No, I have not tried removing anything in the strut assembly. Figured I would post here first and already glad I did! Thanks Dan you most likely just saved me from doing damage to my struts. Rebuilding the whole front suspension and just want to update them the best I can.

Don't know much about this particular strut replacement process... or options available??

Is it just the 'inside' cartrige I am replacing then and not the whole strut itself?

If so or how... Is it then possible to replace that inside cartrige with a gas compression unit, with adjustable oil rebound dampening?

To replace the strut inserts, you need to remove the spring, then remove the large gland nut at the top of the strut tube....

Then attach the strut rod to one '99 F-150 and the strut assembly to a '95 Chevy 1500 and floor the Chevy to pull them apart... or in my case, drag the Ford.

!M!

I spent all day in the barn and replaced the strus, springs with Tokico components and also replaced ball joints tie rod ends and poly buschings. I also put in a bump steer spacer. place the assembly in a vice, pipe vice if you have one but dont tighten till your blue in the face or you may damage the assembly. I uesd a pipe wrench, but you have to be careful only grasp the gland nut and not the assembly or you may crush it. One of my gland nuts snapped off the head. That was another experience! had to sawzall off the old strut shaft then make 2 cuts on the inside of the gland nut so it would have 2 weak points. Then I welded on a piece of 1/4 stock across the top and it screwed right off. I hope this does not happen to you. Also don't forget to put some oil in the assemblys before you put those shiney new cartridges in. It helps with heat and friction build up.. Tomorow the rear end comes down and it gets everything new, blasted and painted too. good luck!