HybridZ

What can I do to this stock engine?

CasperIV

I have a 71 240Z that will eventually be swapped to an L28ET, but for now I have to stick with the stock 24. Is there anything I can do to this carb engine setup to get it quick? Right now I'm replacing head gasket and such so it would be a good time to do other engine stuff before I have to put it back together....

Thanks,

-Casper

Well, if you planning to go turbo later i wouldn't do anything right now.Just save money for your future turbo set up and enjoy car the way it .Everything wich will be added to your n/a L24 won't be used on L28ET engine, so things like ZTherapy carbs for $500,headers $160,performance cam kit around $400 are basicly useless for the future plans. As soon as you start going fast with your current engine you will need the longer time to save money and swap turbo engine.But of course if the money is not an issue then go for it, do porting,polishing and 3 angle valve job too, but i think those things will be better on L28 rather then on your L24. If you absolutly have to be faster in your 240z i would simply add 5 spd ( you will need it eventually with turbo ) and swap 3.9 or 4.11 differential. I bought R180 for $150 and it was very good and inexpencive swap in my n/a 240z.So my advice, don't waste money, save up for turbo swap.

Well, first off! You're probably not getting any responces because to answer your question completely would require writing a book. However, there is a search function, on this site, that can provide you with a wealth of knowledge if only you use it. What ever you decide to do, one thing is for sure.....it takes time and money! Spend some time going through the archieves here as you will likely discover all sorts of things you will want to do to your Z. Do some research, figure out a budget, put together a plan of action, and then get after it! You will, in time, lookback, as you are driving your refurbished Z, and be glad you did your homework before tackling your project.

What he said.. :lol: My opinion, get your 2.4 motor tuned the best you can. Good plugs, new air/fuel filters, oil change, ect. If the head is off, just make sure the valves/cam are decent (not worn out/burnt) and i'd get it surfaced a bit (don't know if you were going to do that..) just to make sure it's good and flat. You'd probly pick up a bit of compresion (IE; power) just by taking .020-.030" off it, and while it's set up already, a few more thou isn't a big expence. Maybe a small investment in a zx electronic distributor, and then advance the timing a bit.. The SU carbs are easy enough to tune, and even if they are shot, you can always pick up another set fairly cheep. The carbs (if you need to buy a set) and the dizzy would also be easy to sell off once you swap to a turbo motor later on.

If you want to do something to your z now, i would do as datsun lover said, put your current motor in good tune till your turbo comes. Then I would go and do upgrades that you will need for your turbo motor, like suspension and getting the chassis in tune. Brakes and lines and hoses.

Well this engine isn't stock.... it's got the fan swap, carb therepy, headers, the head was swapped, but I don't know what else.... I'm figuring out what is different as I dig into it.....

All I know is it is a lot more powerfull then normal, but it's not fast enough..... I need to atleast be able to run better times then the Z32 I had...

save up fpr the turbo swap. High compression is fun,,,but expensive. You can get an I/C, t3/t4 turbo, tb, exaust/down pipe, boost controler, BOV, and a turbo timer for around 3-4 grand. For the price with that many upgraded parts you could put down 250hp at the wheels easy, not to mention the torque. You could do 12's with that and have the ability to have power under boost when you want it, or a regular l6 when your not on the turbo. For the money and ease of swap the l28et is wonderful. The ony better thing would be a sbc. But id say money spent on high compression is a waste unless you are an amazing tuner, and love the NA aspect of classic z's. Above all do a search.