HybridZ

Anyone have an HVLP paint gun for sale? Input on brands?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I've been using an old school high pressure siphon feed Binks paint gun. I'm tired of all the overspray and wasted material, so I decided to get an HVLP for my next paint jobs (I have 6 to do in the next couple months). I don't want to spend too much money on one before I see if I like it or not, so I'm looking for anything used or dirt cheap new that will lay a good paint job. Brand doesn't matter as long as it's not a total POS that falls apart in the middle of a job. It would be nice if it had a large tip (1.8-2.0mm), or has good company support where I can order different tips. I spray a lot of flake, so I need something big.

Any input on brands?

I have used an inexpensive harbour freight (~$60) and it worked very well. Even the painter that sprayed my car used it to do the jams and was impressed. I have also heard fairly good things about the Titan guns (search Ebay for "Titan HVLP".

If you wanted to spend some $$$, then Sharpe, DeVillbis, or Sata would be good brands.

Tim

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I was at Harbor Freight today and I checked out their guns. They only had one gravity feed HVLP and it had a 1.4mm tip. That's fine for basic paint jobs, but I spray heavy flake quite often and need a larger tip. I didn't see any other tips in the store, but I'll check out my catalog and their website and see what I can find.

I have a Firebird sitting in my bay right now ready to paint, and it will be my first paint job with an HVLP. It's going to be black with holographic rainbow flake ghost flames and a ghost pinstripe.

I'll check out the Titans, too. I don't really want to spend more than about $100 on one until I get an idea of whether I want to stick with it or not.

I can't help you much on inexpensive brands but I can tell you what I have used. I bought a used Sata NR2000 a couple years ago. At first I didn't like it, but the more I used it the more I grew to love it. The efficiency of it is incredible. I use so much less materials and there is way less overspray in the air. Still have trouble with the old mindset of how much paint I need to buy for a particular project. I also like how easy it is to clean and very easy to adjust. I like the big aluminum cup and the no drip lid they have. No more fears hanging out over a hood.

I don't think I'd want to spray anything but flake out of a 1.8 or bigger tip though. HVLP guns don't atomize as well as standard guns and you will need a smaller tip to break up the material. I use a 1.4 on my SATA for everything and there are times I would like a 1.3.

Once you get used to it you'll probably will leave the old gun on the shelf.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

So Sata seems to be the recommended brand. I've been using Binks, but have no brand loyalties.

Would you recommend a 1.4mm tip for basic base/clear, even with some factory style metallics? The only thing I planned on using the 1.8-2.0 for was sprayable filler, primer, and heavy flake (bass boat style).

The 1.4 tip is the only one I have for that gun but I have sprayed epoxy primer, high build primer, single stage metallics and solids, base coats and clear coats. It seams to be a good all around tip. It sprayed the metallics very well, I didn't have any problems with mottling or striping.

I like this gun so much better I no longer use a seperate primer gun. I just take it apart and clean it really well, which is easy to do.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

What size tip(s) would you recommend for both basic base/clear, as well as sprayable filler and heavy flake?

Any tips on compressor/gun setup?

I'm buying a new compressor, and I want something smaller than my current one. What's the smallest tank and scfm rating I can use with an HVLP?

Is that the brand of gun you would buy, or are there other comparable brands? How about the Devilbiss Finish Line? They can be had for <$125.

Thanks.

I'd keep the bigger compressor. You can't have too much air.

Autobody forum

These guys are very knowledgeable and can probably help you decide. I'm just a hobbiest, not a pro. Search their forum, I'm sure you'll find answers. This is where I bought my gun from. Len is the owner and very trustworthy.

Jeez, you guys are up late!

Guest DiZeased_240

I bought a Sharpe Platinum HVLP and it is super smooth. It was factory refurbished from Sharpe and I bought it direct. The original price for the gun is around $400, I paid $185. It was basically a brand new gun except for one little ding in the aluminum paint cup. According to the guy I talked to, the refurb guns are used by the sales reps for demos and then sent back to be rebuilt. They don't list refurbs on their website anywhere, you have to call or email them for a pricelist.

The website is: http://www.sharpe1.com/contact.htm

So far I have painted three cars with it and all of them have turned out great.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
when you get the paintjob done on the firebird post some pics. I would love to check it out.

Will do. I have "before" pics. I probably won't have the paint done for a month or so. It's going to be a quickie job, and my first one with an HVLP, so expect orange peel and a run or two. I'm doing a few practice paint jobs in the next month or so before I paint my '68 Plymouth Valiant and repaint my wife's '71 240Z.

Sharpe Platinum...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm leaning towards a DeVilbiss right now, but I'll see what Sharpe has to offer.

Tim mentioned the Titan guns. I have five of them. Very inexpensive, and spray surprisingly well. Garage painting ALWAYS requires alot of finish sanding anyways! They have about a half dozen tips available, as well, so you really can't miss. For the money, they're damn near disposable!! Check this supplier out for Titan, if you decide to try them. Harbor Freight has VERY limited tip selections, and they are NOT interchangeable.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/searchby.asp?txtSearch=titan&Search.x=39&Search.y=5

Otherwise, the reconditioned Sharpe sounds like the hot tip.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

DAMN! They have a kit with a primer gun(1.7mm tip), base/clear gun(1.4mm tip), a detail gun (1.0mm tip), and regulator for $99.99 shipped!

I think that's what I'll go with. I may also order a 2.0 tip for sprayable filler.

My current compressor is a 5.5hp with a 50 gallon tank, but I an no longer use it because I don't have 220V at my new house and the outdated wiring won't allow it. I'm looking at a 5.5 (peak) hp 26G compressor. Any idea what's the smallest compressor I can get away with as far as tank size and SCFM?

I used a 5hp - 20 gal DeVillbis compressor for the complete buildup of my car, including several primer and color sprays. It not really ideal for high air consumption bodywork tools (DA, mudhog etc), but fine for painting.

Get the biggest you can afford though...

I am upgrading mine (can finally afford to do so) to a 7 HP belt driven 60 gallon verticle unit, so mine is for sale, but you are far away....