HybridZ

Dyno Results

81280zxtc

It has been said time and time again' date=' The best exhaust on a turbo car is no exhaust! Id say drop the exhaust system off from the downpipe and do a run like that, brings some earplugs tho! Im predicting a night and day difference.

Mack[/quote']

Mack,

I have a "straight thru" system now it's pretty darn loud now, can only imagine what it would sound like. I have researched the exhaust market (HKS, Borla, Dynomax) and the only set up I would consider would be a dynomax 3" in / 3" out, or even a 3" in and (2) 2 1/2" outs. I would love to come across a HKS Dual Dragger muffler, like the one they made for the Supras, and the one they have for the 240sx. Too bad the exhaust is routed to the wrong side on the sx.

I know it may seem silly to debate exhaust preference, but I'm trying to preserve a certain look to the exterior appearance. I coulld opt for a number of aftermarket exhaust systems out there, but why look like a typical Civic or a "rice boi". I will inquire at a local speed shop for pricing on the exhaust and pipe fabrication.

I took the car out of the shop today. There was a problem with a sewer system on the block where the shop is located and I didn't want to chance anything happening to the car, so for the 1st time in more than 6 years, I drove it out of the shop, instead of having it towed. It felt great. For now, I'll bring it to the interior shop where they can finish up my door panels and re line my headliner, and in a few weeks, make the trip back to get the kinks taken out, and maybe have some better news for all of you. I will try the 3" exhaust before I swap out the exhaust side of the turbo for a smaller a/r.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minuite, what did I miss? SMALLER exhaust housing???? Why would you do that? It would make less power, and add even more backpressue into the intake manifold.

I don't think that's the best idea.

Wait a minuite' date=' what did I miss? SMALLER exhaust housing???? Why would you do that? It would make less power, and add even more backpressue into the intake manifold.

I don't think that's the best idea.[/quote']

Not the actual downpipe, but the exhaust side of the turbo. I had the car out yesterday and the boost came on strong but high in the rpm band, around 3300-3500 or so (first time in a long time I got sideways). I would like to try a smaller housing to see if I can get the turbo to spool sooner so boost can come on sooner, like in the 2600-2800-3000 range, so at least I have 3000 more rpm to play with, not like now where I'm limited to the 2250 I have now. Make sense?

I have a print out of the last dyno run from Saturday which I will try to post later today. Take a look at the curve and let me know what you think.

Id ditch the 2.5in exhaust' date=' that is more than likely the culprit now, since you've taken the pop off valve out of the equation. that being said, switching out the stock exhaust on a stock 280ZXT to a 3in unit saw a gain of 20rwhp on the dyno. no other mods needed.

You are correct in assuming that these engines need backpressure to creat torque, on an NA car that is. On a turbo car, the turbo creates all the back pressure it needs and then some! so, you want the exhaust to flow as freely as possible once it gets past the turbo. It has been said time and time again, The best exhaust on a turbo car is no exhaust! Id say drop the exhaust system off from the downpipe and do a run like that, brings some earplugs tho! Im predicting a night and day difference.

Mack[/quote']

I second that!

Can anyone help? I tried to post the last dyno results in my gallery and upload them (someone has to teach me how) to the forum. There's a message that tells me my gallery is too big, and I need to down size some photos for more space. I tried to edit my gallery, but no luck. Can someone guide me thru the process? I would really like to post the last dyno results for your opinions.

Thanks in advance

Guest 240zJake
Can anyone help? I tried to post the last dyno results in my gallery and upload them (someone has to teach me how) to the forum. There's a message that tells me my gallery is too big' date=' and I need to down size some photos for more space. I tried to edit my gallery, but no luck. Can someone guide me thru the process? I would really like to post the last dyno results for your opinions.

Thanks in advance[/quote']

PMed

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1333&sort=1&cat=500

I posted the latest dyno results in my photo album...but can't get to to load on this page..

Gonna need help again.

I made the file smaller than the last so if you need it bigger to see better, let me know...I'll try to resize it...sorta new at this...

Thanks

Admin Edit:

11266Dyno_Sheet_2.jpg

Also make sure all of the hose nipples that you aren't using are capped off, and not with some crummy rubber vacumm caps, because they will pop off or bust on the ends. Mine did that with only about 13psi. They are not made for boost, only vacumm. And like these guys are saying, remove the stock blow-off valve on the top of the intake and cap the hole if you're running that much more boost than stock. Maybe you could modify it with tighter springs like I did, but it is tedious to get the right spring rate, and a lot of these guys have little faith in this method and will give a negative comment if you do it.