HybridZ

Barn Find Z on eBay

wingnutthehutt

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd let everybody know about this beautiful 240 I found today on ebay. It's item number 4522087419 and, assuming that everything is legit, is a great find for someone who likes 'em bone stock. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=4522087419&rd=1 Hopefully that works as a link.

Something doesn't look right with that car. Don't know exactly what. Maybe just the hard sell. Maybe the corroded engine and rusted out radiator support yet shiny paint. The ricer DATSUN on the rear spoiler makes me think it has been driven recently. Also the worn, mismatched tires.

Would have to check it out in person. Was made in the same month as mine. The VIN is within 800 units of mine.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Paint is a lot less likely to oxidize than aluminum when it's in a dark dry place.

The "Datsun" on the wing fits the car quite well, considering they say it was put in storage in the early 90's.

Regardless of whether it's original or not, it's very clean and has the best floor pans and frame rails that I've EVER seen on a Z.

Yeah, the rear hatch logo is suppose to be angled but it would interfere with the spoiler. I will have to move mine to fit the BRE spoiler. Of course, then you do have to repaint to properly fill the holes. Now that I think about it doesn't the rear hatch logo have the word DATSUN in it? Will have to go peak at mine.

There are little traces of rust along the leading edge of the hood. Maybe they just did a good job buffing out the old paint. Maybe nothing but it just seems like the guy is trying too hard to make this thing look like a jewel in the rough. Rings warning bells to me. I would rather see the paint as faded as the valve cover and a half inch of dust in the spare tire well. That is what I would expect from a 100K mile car that has been in "a barn" for 10+ years. I agree aluminum will pit quicker than paint, but the rest of the engine bay and the tail pipe looks pretty nasty as well. There are a few dents in the thing, so the "original paint" is not much of a selling point since the rust and dent repair will most likely require a repaint. The underside is clean (at least on the side he showed). Still need to check the battery tray.

Nothing a half hour of up close inspection won't answer.

I liked his comment about the juvenile owners that drive the cars hard and then restore them to thier own "taste".

Here and I have it all backwards, I'm restoring mine to my "taste" first and them I'm going to drive it hard!?!?!? I kind of like being called juvenile though- it makes me feel young again.