HybridZ

The Next Motor: 83' L28ET

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright, this threads purpose will be to discuss the potential ways to do my motor, i'm going to post up what i have as of now, and what i'd like to accomplish, i'd like for the more L savvy members to chime in w/ there suggestions on ways to better the setup, this could be parts to do in the machining process, parts to use in the built, etc... isn't limited to just the longblock either, looking for suggestions on transmission and the optimal R200 to run...

Info thus far:

1973' Datsun 240z, bone stock... manual, L24 w/ 4speed manual r180 diff...

Motor going in:

83' L28ET, block and rotating assembly are within stock tolerances to where it could be assembled now if i wanted...

Block is an F54 block

Head is a P90a hydrolic lifter model

Stock turbo manifold

Stock turbo

Stock pistons

Stock rods

and so for, whole rotating assembly is 83' L28ET stock...

and i have the 83' intake manifold and a spare 75' intake manifold...

upgrades i'm already looking into:

Ceramic or other high temp coating on the interior of the manifold

Wrapping exterior of the manifold

Forged pistons w/ ceramic coating on the piston tops, maybe a slick coating on the skirts

Stock rods, possibly new stock, or if there is somthing better availible i'm listening, also w/ a slick coating...

Crank... not really sure what to do there, could open up the journals, micropolish, shot peen, knife edge, but all that could alter the balance of it no?

For the cylinder head, gasket match the intake and exhaust porting, massage out any major restrictions, probally do a light polish/smooth to the CC area...

For the turbo i'm looking at either going to a 60/63 t3 or a holsett HX35y, high temp coatings on the exhaust side, friction reducing coatings on the compressor side, might heat blanket the exhaust housing if theres room also.

Valvetrian, the parts i have are currently stock, i'd like more upper RPM power but safe from valvefloat, i've seen that MSA makes valvetrain components, however i've heard there aftermarket cams are bullshit, which makes me wonder if any of there componentry is worth messing with...

Then theres the transmission, i've researched that one of them was a B&W T5, same thing that the mustang guys run? Cause god knows they have enough support for high hp load trannys, which gives me hope that i could have a strong tranny if i wanted... open to suggestions on which is best to run for overall durability.

Then the rear end, R180 from what i've read thus far sucks a fat one, R200 is where it's at, and an R230 if you can find one, R200's seem plentiful, so that's what i'm looking at, how many came LSD? i'm trying to pick out a R200 that will offer good off the line traction and pull a decent 1/4, but still be able to wrap out a definately not legal top speed.

Anyway, thats where we sit, i wanna cover these areas 1st, next i'll be raiding the braking and suspension forums, but i'm more comfortable w/ my own opinions in those areas, this is the one where i really want to hear peoples thoughts.

I have installed several camshaft kits...pain in the ass...you really have a lot of time waiting for more lash pads to come in the mail I have a collection of various thickness lash pads now....The cam kits work well on a high reving high compression engine...they just make low comp motors sound cool and idle poorly. I have no idea whether a cam kit would help a Turbo L-6..I think not..the turbo will just blow half your charge out the exhaust during the overlap.

I have heard that the P90 hydraulic head are not well supported for parts.

I have heard that the Borg Warner trannys are not supported for parts.

I would not coat the inside of the intake manifold..It is bbound to come off sometime and ruin you motor.

The stock valvetrain is fine I think...you don't need to rev past 7000RPM with the Turbo. You can lighten the rockers and get stainless valves and aluminum keepers if you really want to see 8k on the tach.

I have a BSP prepped 240Z...I wind it out to 7k all the time. It pulls hard to 6500...and gradually falls off. I had it well balanced and used all Nissan parts. I have a mild cam installed with stock lift. I am using the original R180 diffs...I like the low ratios for track events...they seem to hold up fine for me. I rebuilt one and installed Phantom Slip traction plates. They are a dime a dozen and I like that... I am using the "B' 4 speed tranny... I love the 4 speeds because they are a dime a dozen...but they have not failed me yet...I ended up with 3 extras for free.

Guest 73Turbo240z
I have installed several camshaft kits...pain in the ass...you really have a lot of time waiting for more lash pads to come in the mail I have a collection of various thickness lash pads now....The cam kits work well on a high reving high compression engine...they just make low comp motors sound cool and idle poorly. I have no idea whether a cam kit would help a Turbo L-6..I think not..the turbo will just blow half your charge out the exhaust during the overlap.

I have heard that the P90 hydraulic head are not well supported for parts.

I have heard that the Borg Warner trannys are not supported for parts.

I would not coat the inside of the intake manifold..It is bbound to come off sometime and ruin you motor.

The stock valvetrain is fine I think...you don't need to rev past 7000RPM with the Turbo. You can lighten the rockers and get stainless valves and aluminum keepers if you really want to see 8k on the tach.

I have a BSP prepped 240Z...I wind it out to 7k all the time. It pulls hard to 6500...and gradually falls off. I had it well balanced and used all Nissan parts. I have a mild cam installed with stock lift. I am using the original R180 diffs...I like the low ratios for track events...they seem to hold up fine for me. I rebuilt one and installed Phantom Slip traction plates. They are a dime a dozen and I like that... I am using the "B' 4 speed tranny... I love the 4 speeds because they are a dime a dozen...but they have not failed me yet...I ended up with 3 extras for free.

more info on those phantom slip plates and whats your top speed on those 4 speed gearboxes?

Newbie to hybridz here!

My $0.02:

I would look for the P79 head and get rid of those hydraulic lifters.

Have the rotating assembly balanced and polished.

Forget coating the maifold.

While I too crave a set of forged pistons, unless you're looking for crazy boost, stick with the stock (but I will say, if you've got the ca$h, go for the forged and O ring the head, that way you can run easy 20+ psi boost- but you'll need alot more upgrades to get there)

Leave the stock crank alone, spend your money on a programable fuel injection system instead, you'll be glad you did.

Forget about the port work on the head, that turbo will stuff more than enough air in the engine, spend the effort you would on the port work on a better exhaust sytem.

flame on!

I was just talking to a friend with a 240 and a L28et installed with a smallish T3/T4 and a frontmount 60mm TB and a WEB turbo cam and SDS with 420cc injectors and a bone stock bottom end.He runs a BW 5 speed ( you can rebuild kits on ebay).A friend of His just purchaced a 240z with a L28 with a P90 head and a N42 bottom end, so no more than 10psi of boost is adviseable.First, the motor uses a NA computer with a FMU and 370cc injectors and a NA dist.MSD 6AL BTM will controll the retard at boost.Then run at least a set of stock turbo pistons so 18-20 psi is possible.60mm TB and instead of running a FMIC run methanol injection and keep boost under 15psi.In my area 3 gen Toyota CT26 turbos can be had for $90 and they have a liquid cooled bearing.I made 275 rwh with the CT26 at 12 psi ( built 3 liter)so 15 psi in a stock motor should possibly make right around 250rwh.For a daily driver I think this should /would put the hurts on many a high performance car.With a good clutch and a a decent tranny and a R200 the car should put down decent times at the strip.

Guest 73Turbo240z

Mod's that i failed to mention will be in place from the get go...

Car will be on a 82' 280zx turbo harness and ECU for the break in period (500 miles)

Then i have a megasquirt n' spark system already assembled and awaiting install.

Full 3" exhaust after the turbo will go in from the get go...

Might have a R200 from a 82' 280zx and it's 5speed too if i play my cards right.

For turbo, i have the stock T3 which should do 16psi before it passes thermal efficiency...

Intercooler i already have a Isuzu NPR intercooler, which translates into, i have a giant fudging front mount...

Injectors i either have ford SVO "brown tops"

or CFI's which are rated about another 50cc's over what the browntops are...

one thing that's really chapping me is the headers... i can't seem to find a aftermarket turbo manifold... so i might have to make one i guess... can someone give me a link to that turbo cam? and is it a cam that is profiled for a turbo engine, or is the turbo in the name just a marketing thing...

Guest 73Turbo240z
Not trying to flame you but....

You really need to watch your mouth. This is not the web site for such things.

Mods... Hope I'm not out of line here. :-D

thats odd, i thought censors were on, hence why i didn't bat an eye about saying anything, i'll go back and edit