HybridZ

Wiring...

MrBonk

Man im pulling whats left of my hair out on this painless kit lol .

I been reading all the post on it and im having a heck of a time on that colum swicth. I would like my wipers to work and there driving me nuts.As for the head lamps .. well i think i have that down but im not sure about that center black wire that comes out of that high/low beam swicth, is that a ground? it is black and goes in to the little black set of wires that plug into each other between the head/ trun swicthes.

Have some ?'s about this mabey someone can help ..

Blackground.jpg

I know that the two red wires are the high/low beam wires , but is that black a common ground ?what should i connect it too?

morewires.jpg

i know it hooks up to that big black one and i guess its a ground?

dontknow.jpg

And this wire has me all messed up . i allready found the two wires that do to my brake swicth but this one is in the colum wires .Not even sure what to do with it ?

any help would be way cool .

laterZzz

This might help. Back when I worked for FMC building heavy duty cargo loaders for airlines, I was the wiring man. I made up our wiring harnesses. Of course the company only bought 1 color wire...red. I used the numbered tape strips. A continuity tester was my best friend. I have the test lights, but before I even apply power, I check out a wire with the Cont tester. It's simple and effective.

I've 86ed all my wire in my 72. After all, it's just as old as the car and way too many POs had their hands on it. I scored a bunch of heavy duty relays off ebay and will be using them everywhere. They are much better quality than what you get from an autoparts store, and at least half the price. This way I get to use the LED rocker switches! I went with the Honda Accord wiper motor and have to re-do the switch wiring anyway. With all the wire, connectors, relays, fuse blocks, switches, heat shrink, screws, I have around 130 bux tied up into my wiring system. Does countless hours of work count if one considers it play instead of work?

MrBONK, there is a thread, several in fact that contain a "MAP" from painless kit to combo switch. I posted it once and it was a sticky but my last request to get it 'stuck' must have gotten missed. Anyways, you can search for my posts or scroll down the wiring post and you will find some decent info.

EDIT:

actually I just looked, this is the FIRST thread on the wiring forum. Read it and you will get your answers. I don't think you need to use the ground on the switch.

The reason for this is because the Z harness, used a different "METHOD" of grounding everything than the Painless kit does. The ground is at the 'accessory' instead on on the switch, the switches just supply power or a signal to supply power.

yea i printed that post out that you made , very nice :) but i just hate looking at all those wires lol that are left over. Think i have the headlamps down and the truns mabey . but im still tring to figure out the wipers, has anyone got this one yet?If not i will write down what i find and post it . just going to take time .Not use to this car wiring stuff lol . i know 480 volt motors and house stuff but this 6 wires comming out of one swicth to run 3 speeds on a wiper motor is kinda strange to me Anyhoot

LaterZzz

Uuuuuh, tell me about it. The stock harness made so little sence to me. It took me about 8 hours of sitting in the doorway of the z with a tester figureing out what each wire did and where to hook it up to the harness, and that was with diagrams! But on the bright side, you don't have to. :) This is pretty much my only contribution to the site after 3 years, and I am glad to see guy's getting use out of it.