HybridZ

weak to no spark

evildky

so i went at it with my MSnS today, finally figured out how to load (i know it's easy I now know that) moby's newer map (the one that uses the dsm injectors) and the car wouldn't start?

swapped maps back still no start, checked it out and I am getting a very weak intermitant spark, I replaced the HEI module no change, replaced the coil which was getting VERY HOT! ( I had left the key on for extended amount of time so i guess it left the thing changing)no change, save for I was minding the key and the new coil didn't get hot I have not changed any of the wiring or components in the car since the last time I drove it maybe a month ago

something somewhere is dead any ideas where to look? not the coil or HEI already replaced both, grounds look good the comunications with the MS look good although I have not hooked up the stim to verify yet, HELP ! kinda wishing I had gone SDS

ok so to update, I got it running, looks like the hei module was in fact the problem but by the time I had replaced it the plugs had fuel fouled, new plugs and it's running, that;'s my second HEI module, and the car has seen mostly tuning with a max of about 50 miles, edis is looking better all the time

Same with me, I was running key on for a while during my "tribulations".

One thing I would NOT recommend is going with an Autozone or Generic module. My first one was only $13, but I had weak spark, really unsatisfactory. Spent the 24$ for the Pertronix Flame Thrower off-road HEI and is started shooting 4" blue-white sparks. I think many of the generic modules are o.k. for a low-revving GM, but for this application, spend the $$$ and get a good HEI unit. After going to the Pertronix, I have had absolutely no spark related problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Drive-ability

As far as the modules go the HEI in a factory car doesn't have problems if the key is left on and the engine not running. It may be wired differently with the set up you are using and I also think it depends what mode the module/ignition is in when it's left on. If it's open electrically or closed. Being a switch in closed mode may leave it vulnerable.