HybridZ

T5 Tail Housing Mod.

zxtman

I recently saw a picture on this forum (but cloud not find it: did a search) of a transmission that had the tail housing modified to accept a larger rear seal so that a beefier slip yolk could be used. I'm asking because I may have to do something similar. I beleive the Z31 has the same output shaft as the S130 T5 but has a larger diameter seal to accept a larger diameter slip yolk. I'm looking into using the Z31 slip yolk. It opens up my options for a stronger yolk and u-joint.

Any help appreciated.

You must be talking about the custom T5 that was made for TimZ (and Me) - Tim posted some pictures.

The rear of the ZXT T5 tailhousing was built up with weld so that it could be bored for a larger seal to clear the larger output shaft and a larger yoke.. That transmission uses an upgraded gearset with a Ford output shaft, supposedly good for 600+ foot pounds torque. Probably more than I can put on it with my L6. (Smiles)

Yeah. That's it.

The S130 T5 does have the same output shaft diameter and spline count as the tha Z31 T5. The difference is in the tail housing diameter. The Z31 T5 accepts a larger diameter slip yolk. So, in order for me to use the larger diameter slip yolk (which will enable me to use the larger Spicer u-joints), I have 2 options:

1. Basically to do what TimZ did; and that is to weld the tail housing from a Z31 T5 to my S130 T5.

2. To use a Z31 T5 gear box with my S130 T5 bell housing. If this is a direct bolt up, it would be sweet. Gear ratios are slightly different but would work to my advantage. I will be looking into this option this weekend.

Anyone know offhand if option 2 will work?