HybridZ

3.8 GN Z with a manual trans?

Dnaught14

Ive looked around at various GN forums and there are always a couple guys that have tried or at least ran for a little while a set-up with a manual transmission. None of them do it becuase on the GN setup the automatic can hook up better and overall has better power perfomance. There are some however that do feel that there is little lost by using a manual transmission. My question is, Is it possible in a z. I know scottie and a couple others are running GN's under their hood, and I love the power and potential potential the buick has, but I would want a manual trans. I think sports cars that are driven, not dragged, should have a 5 speed,,,,just my feelings, not to say one is better than the other. I found a website that has bellhousing transfer kits, and one goes to a ford T-5, is that all you would need? . Give me some knowlege on this one.

I guess that there is a consensus that feels the spooling characteristics of the GN don't mate well with the T56 or T5. I don't know if it would work or not, but hasn't anyone tried a higher numerical rear end ratio to offset the turbo lag? Say a 3.9 or 4.10 gear?