HybridZ

Pulling apart motor, have a few q's...

datsunlover

Well, I got my motor out and started tearing it down today.. The left side head bolts were rusted and really tight, but came out.. snaped off a few bolts in the front cover (thermostat housing blts) but all in all, it went ok. So then I pull of the water pump... :shock: I think I may know why the engine was rebuld back in 82'; By the looks of it, I'd say the original water pump lost a piece of the impeller, and it got smashed around in there. There are huge gouges and chunks out of the aluminum casing all over the place, and some scoring marks on the back face. I'll try to get a few pics of it to explain better.. The pump looked ok, and there were no pieces missing from it.

The thing is, it wasn't making noise, and it never overheated on me so I'm thinking I could just re-use it (but replace water pump obviously) and be ok.. What do you guys think? Also.. what's the consensus on re-using pistons? (dished, look alright on top..) I have yet to pull the pan, so I have no idea what the skirts look like, or even if the bottom end/rods are good yet..

:| If the cover is not leaking and it isn't scared up inside, (parts of scaring is above the level of bottom of floor in the cover)(or any area that can cause the pump to break again), it should be good. Don't know about the pistons until you take them out and check for scaring and any abnormal wear in the piston bores. Most of the time, it will not have that much wear. All I have had to do to two of my engines was hone the blocks and put in new rings. Good Luck, Rich.:)

well heres a bad out of focus pic of the front cover, behind where the water pump goes..

7867water_pump01-med.jpg

My engine builder came by for a few hours and helped me pull the rest of the motor apart, and he said the same thing. He sugested maybe filling in some of the deaper gouges with 'devcon' (?) but said it's not really neccesary. Oh yes, and now I definatly need a new oil pump (although I had good presure) because the dang studs were siezed in it, and we ended up destroying the pump to get it off. Then we had to fight off the front cover as it had 2 studs stuck the same way.. grrrr... and we snaped a few oil pan bolts too.

Heh.. now for the good; EVRYTHING in the bottom end looks next to new! Pistons are good, the bores will just need a light hone, and I'll get new rings. My engine builder was impressed with how strong looking the botom end was too, pointed out it has 7 main bearings.. compared to a 350 chev that only has FIVE! (and a bigger crankshaft) :lol: and the mains are recesed quite deep into the block casting, making it very strong. I'm getting excited now.. :twisted: can't wait to get er back together and roast off some tires in a few months!