HybridZ

Turbo Cam Advice

Drax240z

I'm looking at upgrading my cam from the stock unit. I am not making huge power but I am hoping that a better tailored cam can give me some increased throttle response and maybe a bit more broad of a torque curve. Colt cams has spec'd me the following cam for my setup and I'd like to hear others comments on it.

First, my setup:

8.3:1CR N42/turbo pistons

T3 turbo

440cc/min injectors

NPR medium IC

SDS EFI

2.5" mandrel bent downpipe to 3" exhaust

The cam they spec'd for me was:

Int: 280* 0.510 lift

Exh: 256* 0.491 lift

112 LDA

Radically different from what MSA sells for their turbo cams, but Colt has quite a bit of experience with L6's, as they have all the resources from Shadbolt Cams at their disposal as well. (Shadbolt made the best NA autoX cam I've seen)

So anyone have their cam specs to list and provide some feedback on? I'd like to hear what works and what doesn't! With any luck I'll have a dyno at my disposal soon to compare whatever cam I end up with to the stock one.

I'm looking at upgrading my cam from the stock unit. I am not making huge power but I am hoping that a better tailored cam can give me some increased throttle response and maybe a bit more broad of a torque curve. Colt cams has spec'd me the following cam for my setup and I'd like to hear others comments on it.

First' date=' my setup:

8.3:1CR N42/turbo pistons

T3 turbo

440cc/min injectors

NPR medium IC

SDS EFI

2.5" mandrel bent downpipe to 3" exhaust

The cam they spec'd for me was:

Int: 280* 0.510 lift

Exh: 256* 0.491 lift

112 LDA

Radically different from what MSA sells for their turbo cams, but Colt has quite a bit of experience with L6's, as they have all the resources from Shadbolt Cams at their disposal as well. (Shadbolt made the best NA autoX cam I've seen)

So anyone have their cam specs to list and provide some feedback on? I'd like to hear what works and what doesn't! With any luck I'll have a dyno at my disposal soon to compare whatever cam I end up with to the stock one.[/quote']

here is my web cam's specs....

turbo cam grind #155

.488 lift

252 duration

230 duration @.050 in degrees

108 deg centerlobe (intake)

111 deg centerlobe (exhaust)

performance valve springs required, here's the site webcamshafts.com

they make 5 turbo cams ranging from .430-.585 lift, maybe you can fine one to suit your needs...good luck

Drax, where do you want your RPM band to come in and drop off? My experience thus far is that you want to match the turbo w/ the cam... The T3 comes on at roughly 2500 rpms and starts to drop off somewhat on the top end around 6000 or so...

I would think that a staggared (sp?) .510 and .490 lift cam would be coming on closer to 3600 rpms. I ran a .490 lift cam that came on around 3500 and a T-66 w/ a p-trim wheel and .58 a/r turbine housing with which I had full boost ~3800 rpms and would pull strong through 7000.

I know you do your performance driving on an autocross course, so at what rpms do you spend most of your driving? If it is between 3000 and 6000, I would think a little milder cam, if it is up in the revs, then the one you posted will work well. I think you will be upgrading the turbo then to suite your cam/rpm relationship in the near future...

Just my .02

I think you are probably right I will be upgrading the turbo in the future, probably something I should do before the cam as far as bang for my buck goes. I'm looking for throttle response improvments, low end grunt, and a broader powerband. Not much, eh? ;)

If I could broaden my powerband by 500-1000rpm's it would be worth it.

topend motorsports in north hollywood' date=' los angeles

website....racetep.com[/quote']

TEP=>Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

My cam is from Elgin - Intake 274*, .515 lift, Exhaust 266*, .490 lift, LC =114*

TimO recommended this one, a good steer.

It spooled a p-trim .63 60-1 turbo to 18 psi by 3500 rpm - I have a bigger turbo now that requires 3800 for the same boost. Power doesn't stop coming by 7000 redline time. Nice cam - smooth idle, good response down low.

turbo cam grind #155

.488 lift

252 duration

230 duration @.050 in degrees

108 deg centerlobe (intake)

111 deg centerlobe (exhaust)

I am running the same cam as 240prace and picked up .3 at the drag strip switching from a milder grind.The cam is stil very streeable,my springs and retainers are Isky.