HybridZ

1979zx tranny vs. 1983zxt tranny??

iistevo84ii

Assuming your talking about manual trannies, I believe the 79 tranny was the odd ball tranny that was only used for that year. After that nissan went to the B type tranny (close ratio). Will they handle 350rwhp? Well, that all depends on how it is used or abused......however, I've read about many people who have done so successfully. For further and probably more accurite details...try using the search function!

Stevo,

I think that the feedback you will get is that the ZXT trannies were notchy feeling compared to the NA trannies. You could break either with the horse power you listed depending on how you treat it. Shock kills these, so "neutral drops" should be a big no no. I loved the way my NA shifted in my 83, and the close ratio was good with a mildly upgraded NA engine. As for high load and high speed shifting, can't really say, never had a turbo.

A big reason I decided to go V8 was due to durability (and cheap horsepower, although somewhere the cheap part disappeared). I was worried about transmission choices, amoung other things. I broke an NA tranny with that mild NA engine I put in, and did not want any repeats of that if at all possible.

I will agree with you about the search function...it can be hard to find stuff. There really is a lot of information here, sometimes it just takes days worth of reading to find what you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Joshua