HybridZ

external turbo kit

naplesZ

I like it because it's different, out of the box thinking.

What I really like about it is the STEALTH factor. You could make the install very stealthy, by keeping the stock intake piping and air filter up front, and have the turbo pipe from the rear come up underneath it.

The other thing I like is the heat sink (turbo housing) is not in the engine compartment.

I'm wondering if some inventive souls might tackle the turbo-to-TB piping with a mind towards making it transfer the heat out of the compressed air. You have alot of length of pipe to do it in.

Guest 73LT1Z
cant wait to see when someone submerges one under water then what...

If the water gets that high (after 4 Hurricanes here last year sometimes it does ;) ), I'll use vehicle #1 in the sig.

Someone (OBX maybe?) makes a piping that is vaned inside and out for exactly that purpose.... but I am thinking that you would also take a hit on flow with it. I would rather take that hit with a FMIC, but ya, if your purpose was stealth, it would fit the bill. I am planning on cramming one of the STS units in my Z eventually... but it will obviously take some devious routing, and a fuel cell. As for water puddles, as long as you use some common sense, it hasnt been a problem so far... people living in some of the wetter regions have been using the STS system with little to no issues. I just want the ease of install, the cooler and uncomplicated engine bay, and the stealth/unusual aspect. I also want to be able to manage the drivability of the Z with an LS1 in it, and this will do nicely. I plan on lowering compression slightly, going with forged pistons/rods, upgrading valves, springs, seats, ect, and running a redline of about 7000 to 7300 RPM. With most of the boost by about 3000 to 3500 RPM, I would still have some revs left to play with, and it would be such a huge contrast to my current TPI engine and its ineffective rev range.

you could always get a much longer pipe for the intake on the turbo...

hell you could even go crazy and make custom vents on the rear quaters like Supra's have.. or even like the Ferrari's :) and put a bend pipe up there and put the filter behind the vent.. this would mean.. no water puddles ;)

there is an option for the STS on trucks that is similar, they call it a "snorkel".... = )

If you dont mind intake sounds in the cockpit, you could use the intake to pull the exhaust fumes out of the car, but I think that might get to be a little much for me. I have been thinking about options for the intake also.... being as my back half is going to be pretty non-stock, perhaps a new tail light panel with the intake and filter incorporated behind a grill in the center.... I imagine it would have people scratching their heads a bit to go to the rear of the car and hear the intake "whoosh".... lol.