HybridZ

external turbo kit

naplesZ

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Squires Turbo Systems, STS. You should be able to find their website with video clips via Yahoo search.

I have no opinion about the mounting position.

Actually met the guy who does some of those out in utah. Currently doing a Supercharged Henassy Viper that is currently cranking 800 and change on Hp. Which is just frickin sick! I heard he won some award down at sema for like best new product.... or something like that. when it comes to mounting the turbo in the back by the Axel they say an intercooler isn't needed with all the cooling properties of the Air and oil lines going back to it..... which makes you go hmmm....... My question is, mount it in the trans tunnel or near/above that rearend?

This brings back some memories!

Memories of a turbo kit for a 4th gen. Z28 or Trans Am... That mounted the turbo in the rear. The claim of not needing an intercooler because of the long turbo pipe was also there.

Try doing a search for Squires Turbo. It was discussed pretty thoroughly, as most controversial topics are.

Reason they don't use an I/C is basically same reason they didn't install one on our Z's....they don't run very much boost since it is basically built for a stock engine...on the TA or Camaro I believe they are running 3 to 5lbs. of boost. Higher than that I/C are available.

As Kazuya noted, the STS system got a lot of air-time, very controversial for a while. It is not the best setup for a 1/4 mile car, but like most any other setup, with a mix of accessories and technique, it performs decently.... just doesn not have the best 60 around. There are a LOT of F-body, Y-body and Chevy/GMC trucks running it with some rather amazing track times. (for trucks) While it is designed to run at low PSI with no additional cooling, the dramatic difference in intake temps with an IC would make me go with an IC unless the car just had no room at all for it. The thing that impresses me is that I have yet to hear from an owner who doesnt like it. Some will admit that there are better setups for the track, but that seems to be its worst criticism. It is at its best in a vehicle that needs a little (or a lot, lol) of oomph, but also needs to keep its manners in day to day driving. One owner has his F-body with STS in the 700 to 800hp range, and it is every bit as scary as that level of power suggests.... apparently he tested it for the first time with his wife in the car.... and she doesnt like it all that much.... apparently had somethign to do with dramatic and sudden loss of traction at 80 mph......

In a Z, we have the room to do a standard turbo install on a V8, but the STS in stock configuration would be a little cheaper and a lot easier to install, right up until you get around to routing the exhaust and intake plumbing. I dont believe you could do it on a stock chassis. For those of us planning on some extensive mods, like 240SX rear suspensions, fuel cells, ect... it could work. One of the things I like about it the most is a simplified engine bay, and a lot less heat under the hood.

Little update, this guy with a 94 chevy truck (6000+ pounds) just ran a 1.7sec 60, and 11.99 @110mph, on the STS with 5 pounds boost. He is going to put on some taller, stickier tires, and install IC, and go do some 10 pound runs. Oh, that 1.7sec 60 was with the truck trying to go sideways.... lol.... imagine trying to launch that setup in a Z.

If I remember right the setup for a Camaro runs around $3,800....part of the reason why people like it so much is because its so user friendly. The package you get...you could install in an afternoon....Try that with just running I/C piping on our Z's....:wink:

• 1 month later...
Guest 73LT1Z

I'm in the process of adding this type of setup to my '95 Trans Am solely due to lack of engine bay room. I had an ATI in there, but the loss of cooling capacity sunk me.

It amazes me how "controversial" this layout is- there are people on the other forums I belong to that go out of their way to knock STS- and they don't even have a blower or turbo!

Guest 73LT1Z

The oil feed is taken from a 1/8 pipe fitting above the oil filter (same place the supercharger guys get it) and run back to the turbo. I'm using braided stainless steel hose on each end of 3/8" aluminum tubing for the feed, and hose on each end of 1/2" aluminum tubing for the return. An electric pump takes the drain oil from the turbo & pushes it back to either the valve cover (STS setup) or the oil pan (I had a fitting here from my supercharger install).

Guest 73LT1Z
What kind of spec does your pump have? Do you monitor the pressure?

It is a Melling #10555 high volume pump, ? as to the specs exactly (believe a stock SBC pump is rated at 7 GPH). I have not completed the install but do not plan on installing a pressure gauge for the oil feed line.