HybridZ

Color Sanding Advice

Bartman

Here's what I was planning on doing this weekend:

• Wet sand with 1,000 grit paper lightly in one direction (not in circles so that sanding scratches will look different than polishing scratches).
  • Frequently squeegee and inspect the surface.
  • Once the area was completely dull with no shiny spots, wet sand with 2,000 grit.
  • Buff with a wool pad and Meguiar's Compound Power Cleaner.
  • Buff with a soft foam pad and Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish.

I was only planning on doing this process on the inner fender wells and shock towers keeping away from the edges.

I am still open to changing the process if the consensus is that this is plan is too aggressive.

1000grit?! ahh!!!! good lord.. you'll never get the scratches out!

I used 1600 wet sanding my car and that even took off some runs i had.

don't sand hard, let the paper do the work, sand until it feels smooth, and when dried will apper chalky almost. Then use a 3m polish. They have two grades, use the polish with cotton fiber, such as cotton balls, or make up removal cotton pads, etc. This is an old school trick I learned. It removes the scrathes much better. Then buff with your final polish.

Also i'd let it breath for a week before polishing or anything

-Ed

Guest crazycustom240z

Looks good for omni that stuff is sometimes hard to shoot without getting the orange peel. I don't look foward to the day I start shooting 240z but thank god its a ways down the road

jeff

I bought everything and was planning on color sanding and buffing this last weekend. I decided to start on a small area that won't be visible after the LT-1 is in place, and it was a major pain in the a**. There just isn't a large enough flat area to work on. I thought I was sanding on a smooth area, but after a while I sanded through the paint to the metal in a very small area. I looked more closely and sure enough, the sanded through area was the top of a bump in the metal. It is just an engine compartment, I am happy with the way it looks now, and I'm not willing to screw up the whole paint job just to try and get it a little better. So I am officially marking this item off my list and moving on to other items.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I'll use it when I'm ready to color sand and buff the exterior.