HybridZ

HIV to cure cancer?

Guest 240zJake

I thought the problem with HIV was that it mutates too quickly to cure it. Why make something from this? There are hundreds of other stable viruses and bacteria that could be used for gene therapy. Sounds like they were searching for a cure for AIDS and had to cut their losses with this work. Although if they did make a benign form of HIV that does not mutate redily, then that could be the key to a stable supply of the missing protien that could not be attacked by body defenses.

Only trouble is, if you live longer than 10 yerars your immunity goes to 0. Well at least you don't have cancer...

Doctor: I have some bad news, good news and some really bad news.

Patient: What is it?

Doctor: The bad news is you have cancer.

Patient: Oh no! Is it curable?

Doctor: That is the good news. It is curable.

Patient: Oh thank God. What does the treatment entail?

Doctor: Well that is the really bad news. Turn around and bend over....

Guest tony78_280z

this thread is bording on the incredibly intellectual...

...stable viruses and bacteria that could be used for gene therapy. Sounds like they were searching for a cure for AIDS and had to cut their losses with this work. Although if they did make a benign form of HIV that does not mutate redily, then that could be the key to a stable supply of the missing protien that could not be...
...And the completely jeuvenile...
...Well that is the really bad news. Turn around and bend over....
...Damn I love you guys!

Interesting article. I just got done studying a lot about this type of treatment in my biochemistry class last semester. Contrary to common misconception in gene therapy, the HIV isn't going to give you cancer, if I read correctly, they have pulled the sequence of the genome that encodes for the "bad" part to put it in simple terms. Most likely the reverse transcriptase was altered. (enzyme that works in allowing the retrovirus to make copies of itself and what ultimately leads a person to getting full blown AIDS). Cancer arises from mutations in your DNA during normal processes, or if it damaged in other ways i.e. UV light, carcinogens, etc. It's inevitable since mutations are what progresses evolution, and that's why cancer is not something that will be magically cured forever with the technology we have today. (sorry I'm not being a pessimist, just stating a fact)

They are using the virus as a vector to transplant a piece of dna that is complementary to whatever it is they are wanting to link up to. However, the setback is nothing is ever 100% efficient and sometimes the vector doesn't link up with the correct protein since some proteins have very similar sequences to one another. I don't think testing in humans should proceed until they can do it other mammals similar to us with a higher success rate since we still don't fully understand the functions of the body yet. Genomics is still in its infancy and time is what is needed.

John 82ZXT