HybridZ

Thinking of upgrading the turbo

EZ-E

This is what I was looking at as the price is right and it is currently on sale.

The specs are as follows

T3/T4OE turbo

.60 exhaust housing

stage 3 wheel, 54 trim

.70 compressor housing

Would this be a good upgrade, would it work well with the Nissan engine, or should I look at something a bit different, Im having a hard time understand compressor maps and where the sweet spot is for the effeciancy range of the turbo.

Are there any suggestions to what type of turbo I should upgrade to and how to better or more easily understand what the compressor maps are telling me?

Thanks for any advice.

This is what I was looking at as the price is right and it is currently on sale.

The specs are as follows

T3/T4OE turbo

.60 exhaust housing

stage 3 wheel' date=' 54 trim

.70 compressor housing

Would this be a good upgrade, would it work well with the Nissan engine, or should I look at something a bit different, Im having a hard time understand compressor maps and where the sweet spot is for the effeciancy range of the turbo.

Are there any suggestions to what type of turbo I should upgrade to and how to better or more easily understand what the compressor maps are telling me?

Thanks for any advice.[/quote']

i too am in the market for a bigger turbo.. my choices are:

T3/GT40

GT35R (ball bearing) a bit pricey

T3/T04R (Big Kahuna)

The specs are as follows

T3/T4OE turbo

.60 exhaust housing

stage 3 wheel' date=' 54 trim

.70 compressor housing

Thanks for any advice.[/quote']

You're going to want a larger a/r exhaust housing if you have a 2.8. I use the T3 stage 3 with .63 a/r on 1600cc engines. Look for something more in the line of .8-.9 on the hot side.

I've not seen .70 A/R exhaust housing. I know of .48, .63, and .83? Those are standard T3 turbine housing. You would want .50 or .60 A/R To4E compressor housing. I don't think anything bigger will clear the manifold without major work. The stage III turbine wheel is ok for a moderate turbo. If you want big power, the Stage V and P trim would be better choice. I've seen stage V on .63 housing with pretty impressive result. JeffP's old turbo had stage V wheel in .63 housing. Ptrim are in the T62 (whatever people call it) cars.

As far as compressor wheel goes, I say 60 trim or 60-1.

I had full boost at 3500rpm or so with .60 HI-fl T04B with 60-1/stageIII/.63 A/R. That was on P79 head with L26 stock bottom end. I think compression was about 7.8:1.

Lockjaw ran .60 To4E with 60trim with stage V/.63 A/R and he was getting full boost about 3200rpm if I remember correctly. That was with P90 with small cam/ L28 with Ross pistons/L24 rods combo. 8:1 comrpession I think.

BUt these turbos are old school, the new GT's will make more HP when you turn the boost up high.

Well from what I was told the .70 is on the intake side, the hot side exhaust side was a .60, see this is where I get totally confused with all the numbers and compressor maps for each with the wheels and what not.

So if I get you correctly, on the exhaust side I would want a .63, and on the intake side I would want .50 or .60 TO4E with a stage 3 or 5 wheel?

Is that correct>?

Haha, I successfully confused you more. lol

Here is the break down.

Compressor side

.50 or .60 A/R compressor housing

60trim or 60-1 compressor wheel(s)(will need a different seal plate for a 60-1 = more $$$)

Exhaust side

.63 A/R T3 turbine housing

Stage III or stage V turbine wheel(s) (T31 and T350 I think)

It's not the cheapest hybrid out in the market. 57 trim compressor wheel be cheaper. or crappy 54 trim. 50 trim is expensive.

AHAH said the blind man, I now see what your saying lol, I was lost and now Im found, I understand the both of you now.

Now if I could only learn how to read those compressor maps I would have it made!!

So then to add to this where are the best places to buy a turbo? I was looking on ebay but it seems for what most used turbos sell for I could get a new one.

Anyone here deal with anyone suppliers and have good results?

Thanks,

AHAH said the blind man' date=' I now see what your saying lol, I was lost and now Im found, I understand the both of you now.

Now if I could only learn how to read those compressor maps I would have it made!!

So then to add to this where are the best places to buy a turbo? I was looking on ebay but it seems for what most used turbos sell for I could get a new one.

Anyone here deal with anyone suppliers and have good results?

Thanks,[/quote']

my partner bought a T3T04E 60 trim from james thagard, ask him all the questions you have. dr. thagard is very knowledgedable...

.50 trim is nearly ideal for our Z cars.. observe

Air Flow Data Plotted Against Different Boost Levels and Transcribed to Garrett T04E-50 Compressor Map (Pressure Ratio vs. lbs/min)

280z_flow_on_T04e51.gif

* 6500 rpm red line points for this compressor at all three level of boost are in the 75% +/- 1% efficiency region.

* 3250 rpm "knee" points for this compressor at all three level of boost are in the 74% +/- 1% efficiency region.

* When accelerating towards redline, the efficiency passes through the maximum 78% area, thus performance is ideal during this period.

* It should be obvious that this compressor can handle even more boost and remain very efficient above the 20psi line. "It can grow with your need for more speed"

* This compressor will give great performance compared to the stock T3-60.

* Goldilocks says "just right"

This is the 60 trim exhuast housing...

Air Flow Data Plotted Against Different Boost Levels and Transcribed to Garrett T04B-60-1 Compressor Map (Pressure Ratio vs. lbs/min)

280z_flow_on_T04B-60-1.gif

* 6500 rpm red line points for this compressor all fail to reach the highest efficiency region.

* 3250 rpm "knee" points for this compressor at all three levels of boost are in the surge threshold region

* It should be obvious that this compressor will work better with a larger displacement engine as it's sweet spot is far to the right where higher flows are required.

* Goldilocks says "too demanding"

Beware of longer spool time. If the max shift point remains the same then the usable power band will be reduced.

Most Z's will only make power to 5000 or 5500 rpms with the stock cam. If max boost is moved from 2800 rpm to 3500 then power band is greatly reduced. Therefore, a bigger cam with proper valve springs would be a good addition for the bigger turbo. A bigger turbo alone will hurt the perfromance of a daily driver especially on a automatic tranmisson car.

Why do you feel you need to upgrade your turbo? Have you tried turning up the boost yet???

I still don't think the maps above are correct. I think in the real world, the 50 trim isn't big enough to justify the cost. Don't get me wrong, it's a great wheel but still not convienced. Noone ever got a 50 trim dyno right?

what kind of VE was used to caculate that? Also was the VE altered as the boost increase? I would think the VE would go up as the boose goes up.