HybridZ

Nissan 5spd trans Vs. BorgWarner t-5

john kosmatka

Bringing this back from the dead....

this is making me have second thoughts about using the BW T5 I have, and just throwing in a nissan 5 speed for simplicity's sake. The question I have is what is the difference in 5 speeds from the 280z's to the 280zx's and which one is better to use?

Will the r200 out of my 83 280zxt fit fine with my 73 driveshaft and a later nissan 5 speed?

holy crap this is an old thread, the L28 T5 has proved itself to be better than the nissan 5 speed, the Z31 T5 has a much more severe neckdown on the input shaft, the L28 t5 has proven to be dependable up to around 400 whp, most of the people who swapped to the nissan 5 speed after blowint a T5 promptly blew the nissan 5 speed

Wow. This is making me feel like a total outcast. The day I finished swapping the Borg-Warner into my ZX was one of the greatest days of my life. Maybe it was just my old tranny, but... it friggin' sucked noodles. It was hard to shift, hot or cold, much more clunky, longer throw, and a LOT more play when in gear. Hard to know, I suppose. It could be that if I had rebuilt it instead of kicking it a few times and shelving it.

The other thought I have is that the whole 'wide ratio' bit really made the whole thing kind of an experience. I imagine that if I were using it on a turbo, I'd be more glad of the fact, as it is, though, I love that transmission. The only ONLY problem I've ever had is apparently a common one, where it won't shift into 2nd easily if it's really cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Nissan 5 speed better than the T5. Now that is a joke. I roached 4 NA 5 speed trannies. Parked the car and found me a T-5. I have had no other issues since. The NA Nissan trannies normally just flat out explode at the worst possible time. Yes, the Nissan trannies shift great, etc. They just won't hold up. That's why I went through so many. 7 psi of boost and the NA tranny was fine. I turned up the boost to 12 psi and it was all over but the repair bill so to speak...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Since everybody else's knocking the T5, I had one in my old S10 and beat the absolute S*** out of that thing. Always shifted perfect. Granted it wasn't a high horsepower item, but I like the way the T5 shifter went into the gearbox better than the Nissan unit in my 78 (stock) The nissan linkages seem kinda rattley, even though I've taken it apart looking for worn parts, it just seems like a cheesy design. (I'd be right behind you though, using the Nissan... hey it drops right in. IF you have a problem later, then look into using your spare. )