HybridZ

electronic spedo?

datsunlover

Not sure if I should post this here or in the electrical section.. Mods feel free to move if you like. I'm thinking about buying some nice white face guages to replace my dimly lit stockers (that are kinda vauge anyway..) and have realized the spedometer is going to be ..well.. tricky.. What I was thinking though, is I will be running a 91 KA (240sx) 5 speed tranny in my 75 280 and I didn't realize till I pulled it out of the wrecking yard that the spedo 'sender' is actually electronic! For now, I have rig'd the stock one (mechanical, attaches to wire) out of my 4 speed on to the KA case and it seams like it will work. But once I have the drivetrain back together and the car is running, I wana do new guages... and I want them all to match... so I was wondering if I could use the 240zx electronic unit (just has 2 wires coming out of it) to end a signal to an aftermarket spedometer?

I've got an autometer phantom series 5" electronic speedo (thanks Mikelly!) to hook up to my rotary swap. Problem: I have an rx7 transmission with mechanical speedo plug.

Solution: Call autometer, and ask them to tell you where to get a speedo sensor for their tach. They usually only make ford/chevy sensors, however, there's a 3rd party company they always refer people to for custom speedo sensors. That's where I got mine. I'd give you the info, but the receipt is at another house at the moment. If I get it later, I'll post it here. It's some place in montana called speedometer warehouse, or something to that extent. Cost me $95

I used the Autometer 5" ultralight. Very nice meter. I have a picture on my photos page under the finished album if you want to look see my singnature!

So what does autometer just sell a 'plug' sensor that fits in a chev or ford tranny? (where the mechanical one went) I know a lot of the older stuf was mechanicaly driven spedos.. I just got to thinking, if I got an autometer sender I could probly modify it to work on my tranny as well..