HybridZ

Any Climbers here ??

clint78z

I have started wall climbing just lately, and really like it. I stay in fairly good shape running marathons and I am no slouch in the weight room. The amount of finger strength of some of the top people are amazing. I am slowly learning technique over brute force. There are so many ways people tackle the same route.

I am practicing my footwork, and was wondering if there are any good websites with diagrams of some of the more basic moves. Can't wait to take a climbing vacation, probably hit Squamish BC.

Thanx I did a search before, that is a good starter one. I was looking for more of the practice and drill movements. They have about a thousands different techniques like drop knee, flagging, finger jamb, dyno... the list goes on. It looks so basic, but it is such a creative sport. Some of them can be a bit tricky to figure out what they are talking about. It's a completely different language.

Ordered up some new shoes last week, rental shoes don't have the soft rubber to stick to the wall.

Man, I give rock climbers a lot of credit. I was doing that for a while with a few friends at an indoor rock climbing place. The very first time I went, I was only able to hold myself up for 3 hours before my body just had no strength anymore. So, I rested for 45 minutes and tried again, only to fall off the wall. TOUGH WORK! Fun though :-D

!M!

It's definately worth a go if you are thinking of trying it. It's funny because it's usually the more muscular type of guys that fade the first. My brother and I were weight lifting partners, after 2 hours we were done like dinner. I guess you can only pull yourself up with one arm so many times. The girls climb just as well, but use more feet and finess.

I just found this page, explains some of the many moves.

http://www.webdimension.net/xzone/xclimb/climb.htm

Guest comeandzpa

I had a friend who used to work out, and he was starting to get pretty buff. Then he started climbing, and his upper-body strength has shot up exponentially. It's a totally different kind of exercise, and it really does require more than just sheer brute strength. Definitely a good workout, and a great way to get in shape.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I looked through a cool magazine about urban climbing. It has pics and articles about people climbing everything from walls and buildings to boulders in parks.

I have huge respect for the people that do it. I have messed up shoulder joints that make my shoulder endurance pitiful. I have poor circulation in the big artery that runs through my shoulde rjoint, so if I put my arm in some positions, it goes numb. :(

I'd love to try it if I ever get my shoulders fixed.

I have the strength/weight part of it down, but no muscular endurance.

I rock climbed for years, both free climbing, lead, and relay. I had to give it up after a mountain bike accident gave me a level 2 seperation of the ACL in 1995. Soft tissue damage to the shoulder area SUX!

Worst injury I ever had climbing was a 30 ft. free fall onto a 4 ft. ledge in West Va... Sennica Rock is known for good climbing out here, as well as the Carter Rock along the Potomac!

I haven't climbed in years...But I miss it... Much like running... Miss them both.. getting old sux!

Mike

Should have known Mikelly's new nickname should be Been der don that !! Good to see you live such a diverse life, I also like trying as much as I can. Nothing beats the view when getting a good outdoor workout. I am trying to be a little more cautious, I practice falling from the wall. Last thing I want to do is wreck anything that takes away from running. Sorry to hear about the fall, that's a nasty spill. I would say you came out pretty lucky from that one.

Mikelly have you tried using glucosamine for joints, not a miracle cure but does help. A good massage therapist can get rid of alot of scar tissue, and restore blood flow and mobility to many areas. Your body is just like a car and needs to be worked on and tuned up. I am sure there are still a few good miles left in ya !!

I have been an arborist climbing trees for the past 11 years now. The techniques are similar to rock climbing only you have a chainsaw attached to you and do a lot of rigging of heavy peices of wood. I have enjoyed my time in the trees and have been extreamly scared at times too. The tallest tree I ever climbed was a 110 foot tall Pondarosa Pine. After 11 years though my body is worn out. I have shoulder problems, back problems (disk), and am looking at a 2nd surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. Pace yourself and slow down when you feel pain in your joints or nerves. I did not pace myself and am paying the price, if you do go into slowly you should be able to last a long time. Of course I was climbing 40 hours a week for many months in a row so damage will occure. Most arborist climb for around three years or so then change careers. Amazingly I have never been hurt other than a worn out body, many people get severly injuried working on trees. People have started to climb trees recreationally now, especially in the northwest. Some of the bigger trees are over 275 feet tall. If you like rock climbing you would like tree climbing too, you should give it a shot.

P.S. watch out for hornet nest!

Clint, I take "Joint-ritous" (SP?) three times pre day most days and I must admit it DOES help a LOT...

Being a Yuppie in the Washington DC area, and having been raised in or near the mountains of Appalachian Virginia, I've had the opportunity to do a LOT of outdoors stuff. Lot of folks are amazed and in some level of disbelief when I talk of things I've done... sometimes it is hard for me to believe... But the only thing I can say is I've never let grass grow under my feet... There was a reason I was 35 years old and getting married for the very first time... I was out playing through most of my teens and all of my 20s!

You get one life... LIVE IT!

Cheers!

Mike

I live in the bald *** prairies, luckily our city has some nice trails for run and mountain biking. I get bucked off but not that far to fall. After I get my house construction done I am going to start planning to do my first IronMan. The only carbon fiber thing I own is a road bike. Hopefulley that doesn't send me home with my tail between my legs. It's funny I explain some of the stuff I do to people and they look at me like I am crazy, that's only partially true. Some people ask how can you do that, I reply how can you sit on the couch all day. Every person has there thing, just want to enjoy it as much as I can.

Tree climbing sounds pretty cool, unless an attack squirrel is after you.