HybridZ

front suspension help

Guest RyanSugh

Guest RyanSugh

I just purchased a 72 240z with a ford 302 v8 and the suspension in the front is bottomed out and i am not sure where i can get springs that will support the extra weight. Should i buy a coil over kit or is there some one that sells springs specifically for a v8 z

Welcome to HybridZ Ryan!

Congratulations on your new acquisition. By "bottoming out" do you mean that the car is constantly wacking the bumpstops or do you mean the car is wacking the pavement? Could be different problems. You may need to raise an exhaust that is too low, section your struts, or simply replace worn out springs. Coilovers give you flexability in choosing spring rates and adjusting ride height but if you want a low ride coilovers alone wont fix wacking your bumpstops.

I see you're from Modesto. You need to come to the Travis Z meet next Saturday. There will be at least two V8 Z's there. We can give you some hands on suggestions. Go here to find out more: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98213

If you decide to go with coilovers I have an extra set of front struts already set up for them. Just bolt them on. I'll let them go cheap.

Dan

The Ford 302 weights less than the 6 cylinder it replaced. If your suspension is bottomed out it must be for some other reason. Maybe the previous owner took a torch or cut a coil from the springs to lower the car?

Lots of people sell coil overs and stock replacement springs that work well with a Ford 302.

Hit the Ford V8 forum, look at some of the posters there and check their web sites/old posts. Should tell you everything you could want to know and more. Also try a search on spring rates in the suspension forum. More good info.

Or since Dan's post crossed in front of mine, take his advice, meet with them and pick their brains.

If you're on the bumpstops then you'll either need new springs to raise the car or section the struts to give you more travel, or both.

Sectioning will give you about another 1 1/2" of travel and will necessitate replacing the strut cartridges with shorter ones.

If you install coilovers you can also install camber plates that will give you about another 1" drop. Then you can raise the coilovers to give you the original ride height and that adds about another 1" of travel without sectioning.

Have I lost you yet?

Point is you have several options. Options do cost money though. :wink:

I've got some extra polyurethane bumpstops and front bushings too, brand new. I can save you a couple bucks if you decide to do a complete front end rebuild.

EDIT: Just checked that thread about the Travis meet. There will be at least THREE V8 Z's there! The central valley guys are meeting up at Flag City at 9:00am to caravan to Fairfield from there. Hope you can make it.

Hey Ryan , welcome, being new my self there is a wealth of knowledge here and some very good natured folks. I have thevstock 72 springs off my 240 that I recently replaced with Tokios. They are yours, all you have to do is pay the freight.I would guess under $20 let me know, they'd be comming from Churubusco, In 46723