HybridZ

Looking for advice for 'daily driver'

datsunlover

Ok by summer, the Z will be back together and driveable (yes, I'm hoping anyway..) and I have a decision to make. I have a 93 Nissan pickup 2 wheel drive in pretty nice shape V6 auto (currently stored for winter.. yah, its a snowbank right now..) AND a 93 Nissan pickup 4X4 V6 5 speed. It's mechanicaly good, but the body is.. rough.. and the rear springs are shot/saging. Except for the bigger tires and ugly body, the two trucks actually look very similar.. I've been thinking about what I could do, and came up with a few ideas;

1: Take all the 'good' parts from the 2wd and put them on the 4x4.. such as, th box/tailgate, front grill, lights and bumper w/NO rust, rear leaf spring packs, ect. Then do a fairly cheep body job/paint (I will be driving the thing in the snow) and drive the 4x4 all year round. Keep the 2wd around for a parts truck as it is the same engine, electrical, interior, glass... evrything but tranny/t.case front end really.

2: Take the 4X4 off the road in the summer and drive the 2wd 'as is' till next winter, and switch back. Thing I don't like about this plan is it leaves a vehicle sitting a whole season, and sitting is not ussually a good thing.. I find if you run a vehicle regularly, it stays pretty reliable. Sitting ussualy means rotting and/or being vandalised (part of my issue here is I only have outside storage space, and even that is.. pushing things considering I live in an apartment) On top of that, what do I need TWO truck for?!? :roll:

3: Forget about these 2 old trucks; sell them both off, and use the $$$ as a down-payment (get into a finance deal) on a newer 4x4 truck/suv. (Personal preferance here is a 4x4 Nissan Extarra or Frontier) I like this one, but don't like the idea of paying $400+ a month for the next 4 years so much...

So.. :lol: any thoughts?

When given the option, I don't like doing a lot of work on my daily driver. Sort of defeats the whole purpose if you are constantly working on it. If you can afford it I would consider selling both and buying something newer/better shape.

Of course, there were times in my life I simply couldn't afford a reliable car and just had to make do with what I had.

......Of course, there were times in my life I simply couldn't afford a reliable car and just had to make do with what I had.

Well, I've been there and.. well.. I think I might STILL be there.. that's what I'm trying to figure out too.. I think I'm 'on the fuzzy line' somewhere between being able to aford things, or not.. but it's hard to tell witch way I'm heading..

Guest comeandzpa

Warning: salesman speaking.

Have you considered leasing? I don't know how many miles/year you need to drive, and if that number is high than it wouldn't be a good plan for you. However, leasing is a great way to get a nicer vehicle than you can afford for a price you CAN afford. (and here comes the sales pitch...)

Check out the new Tacoma. I know you said you'd prefer a Nissan, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Nissans are crap and Toyota is the only truck worth buying in the world. Obviously that's a matter of personal taste. However, I've driven one of the new Tacoma's around for a little bit, and they're incredible machines. The interior is fantastic, especially for a truck, and there are a ton of combinations of 4/6 cyl, manual/auto (6/5 gears in the 6 cyl, 5/4 in the 4), regular/access/double cab, short/long bed, 2/4WD. It's worth a look. (end sales rant).

In the mean time, I'd just try to use them both equally, or as equally as possible. That way you keep both in good running condition, which will help should you decide to sell one or both later on.

You know, I've thought about the Yota's.. Great reliability, and pretty tough trucks.. (although my old 86 4Runner was kind of a POS.. no heat, acceleration like a sloth on valium, and clunky driveline..) Really, I just don't like how they look, and if I'm gona be sadled with something for the next 4 years, I wana at least like the look of it! :lol: Also, if I go this route, I'm thinking about getting into something a few years old, cause brand new ANYTHING would be out of my price range..

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Just to confuse things further, I thought I'd let you know that I have a set of bolt-in motor mounts to install a Chevy V8 into a 86-96 Nissan Hardbody. ;)

Just to confuse things further, I thought I'd let you know that I have a set of bolt-in motor mounts to install a Chevy V8 into a 86-96 Nissan Hardbody. ;)

Greaaaat. Thanks alot man. :shock: Now I totaly f&*ing tortured.. :lol: no no no... if I do a V8 in something, the Z is first in line!

Keep it on the cheap and reliable. Drowning in debt is NO FUN at all.

Keep liquid enough that you can still have some fun, and be able to afford some of those "hard knocks" that life throws on us.. usually at the worst time, and when you can least afford it.

I sold my new Altima and bought that ZX for that reason. Freedom! Plus I just like driving Z's.

1 Keep it inexpensive yet reliable enough to manage.

2 Get the education finished/paid for.

3 Find a decent career.

4 Then its balls to the wall with the Z!

That was and is my philosophy. I've been balls to the wall for almost 5 years now with the Z. The first 9 yrs were much more modest especially while in school!

Scott