HybridZ

Need info from someone who has swapped their 350c for a 700r4

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

I got the 350c in now, and (hopefully) soon I will be dumpin it for the 700r4. My question is primarily about the physical demensions of the two. Will the mounts be the same? Or will I need to move the ones I got now. Will my driveshaft fit without being modified, or is one longer than the other? If so by how much?

And yes I have tried to search both here and the greater net.

Guest tony78_280z

Thanks for the link. Good info there.

A 350c is a th350 with the lock out converter. I dunno if it's a long or short. I never measured it. I'm assuming long cause it came from a van, so I may not need to modify my drive shaft. But the mounts will need to be modified. Dang it!

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

The mounts aren't a problem at all. All you have to do is redrill the holes where the crossmember mounts. The driveshaft should only cost $50-$150 depending on your market.

Now's a good time to upgrade to a stout aluminum shaft.

i have heard that they are in the GNX cars too. also, if you are going to rebuild a 200-4R trans it costs about the same as a 700-R4. So building each to handle the same power should cost about the same. then it's a matter of size/weight/gear ratios/ and the split in ratios from gear to gear. if memory serves me right.... the 200 has not as deep first gear but has closer splits. i like close ratio. clsoe ratio likes me. i think my driving style(torurous) is better accomodated with the close ratio.

Guest tony78_280z

It seems I was mistaken about the integridy of the 2004r as oposed to the 700r4. Obviously more research is required. Anyone know the weight difference between the two off hand?

......... PROJECT DELAYED .........

*sigh*, Darn it!

Guest tony78_280z

From http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/hbodyfaq-10.html the link above posted by adw92gsx

TH200R4 -- weaker than TH700R4 but lighter, can be beefed up; was used in Turbo Trans Am, so torque arm mounts can be found, but it's not easy

and then cobraraz240 at http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=86509&highlight=2004r says

if your going to have over 300 horsepower i would go with the 700r4 it is alot stronger 3/4 ton trucks even use them i thing the 700r4 is the way to go i could be wrong i rather have some thing stronger it will probally save you money on the future
followed immediatly by MikeC who says
Nobody who runs 9's runs a 700R4, but lots of 9 second Grand Nationals run the 200 4R. Not quite as critical in a Z, but in a heavy car like my Impala SS, the 700 are just eaten alive. Most of the fast Imps are either TH400 or T56 equipped.

If you are going to spend $1000 plus on an OD trans, the 200 has a MUCH more pleasant driving characteristics IMO as well as durability.

Then twoeightythreez at http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=80785&highlight=2004r says

instead of 700R4 use 2004R, they can be beefed to handle tons of power (were used in Grand Nationals) and have both Chevy and BOP (don't forget caddy!) boltpatterns on it's bellhousing. It also dosen't need a computer and has a mechanical speedo drive.

But the most intense discussion is on this recent thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98292&highlight=2004r In it the theory of rebuilding it to beef it up is repeatedly mentioned as well as the weaker characteristics of the 2004r. There is also another link to a turbobuick site where this continues at great length.

The can be beefed up bothers me as I don't want it to last a year or so before rebuilding to beef it up. My bank account tells me I'm gonna have to get a used tranny, and I don't wanna have to worry about it going out in the near future. My math says that, should I replace my th350c with a used overdrive tranny and it lasts for 6 months it will have paid for its self with the current gas prices. If it goes out in a year (tax time again) then I can replace it with a 'beefed up" tranny at that time. Right now, I just want a tranny that will last me for awhile and save me cash at the pump. And according to all the talk.. the 700 is more reliable and stronger than the 200 unless the 200 is beefed up.

I doubt my motor is pushing 300hp or if it will anytime soon. Do the stock 2004r only go crunch at higher hp and abuse, or are they just lighter and more fragile.

Having said all that, I value the opinion of those on this site what'cha all think i should do?

I have the 700R4 in my ZX. The most noticable negative I have found, besides weight, is the first gear ratio. First gear is pretty much a "go lightly on the throttle" gear (I'd like my rear tires to last more than a week). The 200-4R has a more desirable first gear. If I were to do it over again, I would go the 200-4R route. My local trans shop has quoted me a high performance rebuilt 200-4R set up specifically for my application, complete with high stall convertor for $1200. I am seriously considering it.

That is right. 1st gear in a 700r is very low so there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd gear. I read that it was designed to get a big heavy car moving with a 3.08 diff gear and a weak engine.

200's have about the same gear ratios as a TH350 (only for the first three gears of course).

I think 200's have a 2.50:1 first gear and a 700 has 3.08:1 first gear.

I personally hate 700r's and would never own one again. After chewing up a few "high performance" transmissions from GER then breaking a neck off a torque converter, I switched to a GM T5 5spd and have been very happy ever since.

Make sure a local trans shop does the rebuild and get a warranty! Don't mail order a trans like I did unless you like paying a lot of shipping costs and like having a lot of down time!!!