HybridZ

My new car: 1966 Dodge Dart.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

My birthday was Saturday, and I got a 1966 Dodge Dart 270 4-door!

I had a '69 Plymouth valiant 4-door a few years ago, and I loved it but had to get rid of it due to a financial emergency. :( I've wanted another A-body ever since.

Now I'm the proud owner of a NICE '66 Dart!

It has 72k original miles, documented.

It has the Commando 273 V8, the same one as the Barracuda (don't tell the Mopar freaks, but this engine is coming out and a "built" 360 is going in its place).

It has "Kool King" A/C that was installed at the dealer, and I have the original instruction manual and receipt for the Kool King. There's even a vintage Kool King deal on the rear quarter glass.

I also have the original owner's manual and all service receipts, as well as this cool-*** credit card looking thing in a pouch under the hood. It has the original owner's name, and the date of purchase, and the dealer is supposed to scan it like a credit card when they do a warranty service.

Factory paint, still shines! Has one small dent in the rear quarter panel, but it can be fixed without harming the paint. It has some hail damage dings on the hood and trunk, but they can probably be popped out as well.

Interior is near mint, with only slight wear on the carpet.

I'm dropping in a 360, lowering it, and painting it metalflake light blue ASAP!

I'm going to keep it as original as possible, but I'm not digging the baby blue, and you have to admit a 400+hp 360 in a 2900lb 4-door car will be a blast!

dartside.jpg

dartback.jpg

dartfront.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//0/1/16550//.large/dartinterior.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//0/1/16550//.large/dartbackseat.jpg

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//0/1/16550//.large/dart273.jpg

I follow your dream. Looks like a clean car and properly tricked out will make a good classic.

But having gone through high school in the 70's it is funny to see this interest in old mopars. I can remember looking for a car back in 1975 and wondering who would buy all these front heavy, gas sucking, hemi cuda's? Look who is laughing now.

You gotta admit, in 1975 if you drove that to high school everyone would wonder if your mom wanted her car back. Couldn't expect to get much leg with that!! But now that it is so old and still so clean, guess you could really turn some heads.

Good find.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Sounds like it has potential, but I like to stick to the compacts. I ride motorcycles 99% of the time, so big cars give me fits.

The only reason I'm doing a 360 is it's a straight bolt-in and I can get them dime-a-dozen at the salvage yard. I'm going to start working on the motor next week if time allows.

Did I mention I got it for $400?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Happy belated birthday! Nice find' date=' pretty sweet car :mrgreen: Yeah, not diggin' the baby blue color either. Slam it, change the color and slap some smoothies on there!

!M![/quote']

I'm hoping the rumor about car insurance going down when you turn 25 turns out to be true!

Here's the color I'm probably going to paint it:

showcase_1_f.jpg

...and here are the wheels I'm using, once I get the necessary adapters:

KONIG_CAFFEINE.JPG

I'm going to lower it in the next few days. All I have to do is turn the torsion bar adjusters down in the front, and flip the leaf spring hangers in the rear. I'll post "after" pics to show the difference.

I'm hoping the rumor about car insurance going down when you turn 25 turns out to be true!

Ha! I thought mine was going to go down too, well, it did but only by ~$20. I love that color blue with all that flake in there, pretty neat. I like your choice of wheels better than some smoothie hub caps :lol: What size are you thinking of going with? Big and littles?

!M!

The credit card thing under the hood is called a "certicard". The name on it is the original owner, and it was used for service and warranty work. 273's have adjustable rockers on them and the rockers are desirable. If you drop in a 360 don't let the rockers get away for nothing. A 360 will bolt in right where the 273 was, same mounts, trans pattern, etc. The 360's are externally balanced, the 273 is internal, so you'll need a 360 flexplate or converter. Several people make 4" cranks for the 360's to make them 408's, and it's pretty much a drop in, just new crank and pistons. Check out moparts.org, it's a high class, high tech, low BS board much like hybridZ.

My 67 Coronet R/T:

67%20Coronet%20RT%201.jpg

John