HybridZ

too lt1 or not

i want to put a v8 in my 1973 240z but i dont know if i should put a 350 with a carb or should i find and lt1 and put that in. i would like to put an lt1 in because i have a 1994 trans am that has an lt1 in it stock and i love the power it has and i cant believe what the power would be like in a way lighter z. the only problems i see are will the jtr or ebay monting kit that i found work for an lt1, or should i just go with a normal carbed 350. i plan on using the 4l60e trans, will this trans bolt in to the msa kit or do i need a custom mount.

the ebay kit i found is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=7956496223&rd=1

the only thing i need to know if u dont want to read my story is what is special about puting an lt1 in a 240z and will the ebay or jtr mounting kit work with the llt1 and a 4l60e

LT1's can be had cheap. Here is a complete 94 trans am LT1 with auto trans, computer, engine accessories, wiring harness...all the engine parts needed to drop it in a Z and get it running

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7952895646&category=33615

They were asking only $1700 and it didn't sell. Throw in a complete JTR kit, headers, drive shaft and an electric fan and I think you could do the swap for $2500 to $3000.

The LT1's have a good flowing fuel injection that can be modded to handle 400+ HP no problem. Plus they are pre OBDII so if smog legal is an issue with you they are easier to do. Aluminum heads with JTR mount means no front end weight gain. LT1's have roller cams. The front mounted distributor means no modifications to the hood latch.

Unless you already have a deal on an early gen SBC or have a stong aversion to FI it is hard to imagine beating this combo (cost wise anyway)

The corvette engines will cost another $1200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7952893549&category=33615

The real question now days is LS vs LT1 engines. They sell on ebay with manual tranmissions in the 3500-4000 range. Can't use the JTR method for mounting, but the engines have better HP potential (dollar for dollar).

BTW, that ebay mounting kit has come up on this site before. The guy from JTR even commented on it. Total rip off. My suggestion is to buy directly from the source (http://www.jagsthatrun.com) or get the manual and make your own. Don't support that rip off on ebay.

wow u guys are great thanks for the info on the ebay kit and i will not be buying it, the welds do look very cheap,

i right now have a 280zxt radiator and 2 12inch electric fans, will this combo cool the lt1 or do i need to buy the camero one like in the jtr manual

also i have the jrt manual in hand and i am looking at the driveshaft part and i am a little confused i have a 1987 300zx lsd diff that i will be using what driveshaft do i use the one from my car originaly and get it modded or a chevy drive shaft made to fit my diff

Use a modifed chevy driveshaft but that diff will probably need a different input flange if you try to use the adapter from JTR.

I would get the radiator from JTR. I bought one along with the mounting kit and they are very nice.

I'm getting close to finishing my LT1 swap. Here are the things I ran into that are a little different from a standard SBC install.

1. The Accessory drive must be modifed to work. I replaced the AC and PS with a plate that I mounted 2 pulleys to. JTR is working on a similar setup, in fact I got the idea from them.

2. I'm using a world class T5 so I had to cobble together a flywheel/clutch setup. If you stick with the 4L60E you'll either have to get an electronic speedometer, a speedo drive unit or convert the tranny to drive the speedo. If you convert the tranny you'll then have to figure out something for the vehicle speed sensor in the PCM. I talked to PCMforLess about programming it out but the 4L60E is controlled by the PCM so you'll need it.

3. The wiring can be a bit intimidating but it really isn't all that bad if you take your time. Get the entire harness from the donor car if you can and then delete the circuits you don't need.

4. A high pressure fuel pump is required and you'll want to either use a fuel cell or add some sort of baffling to the fuel tank.

Wheelman