HybridZ

26.1" or 28" tire on 15x8 for drag racing?

I am thinking about buying some diamond 15x8 4x4.5 with 4"bs rims. I want to mount a 275 bfgoodrich drag radial tire on them. My question is should I get 50's series or 60's series tire. The 50's would be 26.1" and the 60's would be 28". My car could always use more gearing especially since I have a 3.545 and tight power band. Also the added height will help the tire fit on the 8" rim. I do not have speedo so I am not worried about that. My real concern would be the added weight and rubbing on the strut. If need be I would add flares or cut my wheel wells so that is not an issue. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Ted Schmidt

Yeah, you may want to look into the 255/50. I have 275 60 BFG's on my 69 Camaro and they rub on the inside in a turn. And compared to the Z, the Camaro has massive wheel wells. Mine are on 15x8.5 with 4 7/8 bs. This leaves about 3/8 inch clearance on the inside and 5/6 on the outside, but body roll does cause rubbing on the inside.

Like heavy Z and Mike C said, you would be hard pressed to fit 275s on a 15x8 w/4" b.s. on a 1st-gen, but maybe you have more clearance with a ZX. Definitely see who is running "big" tires on a ZX before you invest. By my rough calcuation, you should be able to see at least 118mph @ 5500RPMs in 4th with the 3.54s on a 26.1" tire. I see no need for a 28" tire unless you see the car trapping well over 120mph. If you plan on driving the car on the street with these tires I strongly recommend against the BFG DRs. They hook like mad but will wear out VERY QUICKLY and they are downright threcherous in the rain. The new MT DRs hook just as well as the BFGs and will have a little better tread life. No issues in the rain with these. I am currently running 255/50-16s on the RX7 and they drive like normal radials and hook like hell. The Nittos hook just slightly less but is a great street tire and I got good performance and about 8000 miles out of them on the GNZ. Several trips to/from the SEZ events in driving rain storms and the Nittos were the least of my concern.

Thanks for the info. I am going to make these tires my drag only tires. Only time I will drive on the street with them if I'm going to and from the track or if I plan to go to a local car meet where I mind find myself too tempted:twisted:. I think i'm going to go with 26.1" tire just so that I will not have to modify anything to put them on. Plust it will be about 3-5lbs lightyer:-D

Ted