HybridZ

DIFF Guide?

Guest GR8240Z

Guest GR8240Z

Does anyone know of a link to a source of information about 240-280Z car differentials, their gearing, preferences for topend vs torque, etc....?

I'm build a "hot" '71 240Z (300+ HP) and want to use the best rear end for overal performance, but I'm not really concerned about topend speed.

Any ideas?

A search will probly turn up a lot on this.. I'm doing a similar project, just not as high horse. (I'm shooting for around 225hp) I'd say convert your car to a 3.90 ratio R200 rear diff from a 280z-zx, hmm.. actually, you're probly gona need/want the LSD rear with that kind of power (ceartain models of 300zx came with the LSD) and and upgrade to C/V axles and 280 stubs. I would also look into swaping in a 5 speed..

Guest JAMIE T

Define genuine... I'm using 300ZXTT R230 parts. Are they genuine? Is a Ford 9" genuine? It is genuine ford parts. Sorry, I just don't have any appreciation for Nissan Genuine attitude. I see your car has or will have a V8, what do you care?

Define genuine... I'm using 300ZXTT R230 parts. Are they genuine? Is a Ford 9" genuine? It is genuine ford parts. Sorry, I just don't have any appreciation for Nissan Genuine attitude. I see your car has or will have a V8, what do you care?

sure, an R230 is genuine...good luck bolting that thing in w/o custom fabrication. So let me rephrase....An R200 with CLSD and 300ZX turbo CV's with 280Z axles (Modern Motorsport even) is the stoutest "bolt in" rear drive setup using genuine NISSAN parts. you have a car light enough that you will break traction before any hard parts. exactly what would it take besides drag slicks and shots of NOS from a blown high torque V8 to break that? How many people actually need to worry about this? I bet not many. for the 98.756% of the members here, or people in general who do any preformance conversion on a Z, the setup that i used on my car will be more than adiquite.

granted there are a few members with exceptions...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Guest JAMIE T

OK, Bolt-in maybe...

FWIW, Custom Fabrication is what I do. It's my job. And I make pretty good money at it I might add. :)

I'm running an RB26DETT. I bought it from Stony. It WAS stock when he had it. On M&H racemaster street tires, the car hooked so hard it broke CV shafts, Stub axles, etc...

I want to run my car on slicks. So, I'm looking into alternatives to the factory suspension.