HybridZ

Ford WC T5 & the L28?

Jersey

Ok, maybe i'll explain more. Has anyone used a Ford WC T5 with a Nissan T5 bell bolted to it, custom pilot bearing to accept the WC T5 input shaft, a 240mm clutch made to match the WC splines and a custom driveshaft that will connect the output splines of the WC to an R200? Does it fit in the tunnel? Will the shifter location line up? Is the 300lb torque rating of the 90-93 ford T5's strong enough? I know it's a bunch of questions but i'm just trying to weigh out all my options. Thanks in advance.

the mustang guys drag race with them-they will hold up to a z.the zx t5 bellhousing wont bolt up.the input bearing carrier(the part that the throwout brg rides on)is slightly larger than the id of the hole in back of zx bellhousing.but a lathe could fix that quick.any of the hipo clutch places could make a custom disc up.you can buy trans new from summit.if i have any problems with my 82 na trans behind my new turbo motor this is next.the ratio spacing is better on wc trans +better 5th for the freeway.i have a zx t5 bellhousing but i am not selling it.i used to work as a tech at a ford dealer.i tried this on the bench at work.another tech had a 5.0 stang with a vortech supercharger that ran in the high 10'switha wc t5.car made about 80 passes with out trans problems.later found out it was running with out a pilot brg.so i would trust a wc t5 no problem.

Thanks for the reply Randy. Ok, so a minor adjustment to the non-WC bell and it will connect to the WC center section. I have a few non-WC T5's lying around so, i have the parts to do it, just wondering if it's do-able :) Did you ever do a side by side comparison of the two, to see where the shifter location would end up? Also curious if the input shaft lenghts between the two are any different.

WC and non wc cases are the same, only diffrences if I remember right are syncros(fiber vs brass) and the input bearing.. there may be a few others but thats about the gist of it.

As for the wc's being much stronger(and worth a custom clutch and bellhousing machine work), I wouldnt bet on it too much.

My svo stang which came with a wc t5. I dont know why but it wasnt there when I got the car and from what I know of the cars history it isnt likely that it was just removed for another car. The wc i currently have in it is also not quite right, 3rd gear syncro is out. It came out of a thunderbird and was also rebuilt(at least partially) at one point in time

Keep in mind these transmissions are coming from 4cyl turbo cars that are rated at about 200hp that lags behind untill about 3500rpm or so(not alot of torque)

t5's suck.

I posted a link in the tech forum for an online t5 manual, it highlights the diffrences between wc and non wc aswell as parts/service manuals.

Good luck though, I would try it but I think I will just hold out on crazy trans work untill I can get a t56

Sam

Joe - i have know idea of the input shaft lengths. I think i'm going to have to pick up a WC T5 and do some comparisons. Both Nick and I have blown non-WC T5's sitting in our Z's.

Sam - i'm thinking of going with the WC T5 that came in the '90-93 5.0L stang because they were rated @ 300ft/lbs, they increased the nickel content making it stronger gearset and the 3rd & 4th synchro linings were carbon fiber rather then the weaker brass like you mentioned. All the Ford WC T5's from '85 on had the output shafts riding on bearings instead of solid shafts and the counter gears used tapered bearings. Sounds to me like the Ford T5 would be a good deal stronger than the Nissan T5, but i'm just guessing. I'm not sure what the tourque rating on the T5 was that was in the svo's but like you said, they were behind the 4cyl turbo.

Now i need to hunt one of these trannies down. I'm surprised nobody else has tried this? Might be a "cheap" solution for us "budgeted" :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys...

I don't mean to high jack this post but I think the topic applies.

First, I've never seen any definitive proof that the Nissan T5 is any stronger than the stock 280zx 5 speed. They both have their inherent weaknesses.

Plus, the T5 has a reputation for notchy shifting and it is heavier than a stock trans.

Having said all that, what can be done to strengthen the stock trans?

I've engaged a few people in discussions about what would need to be done to strengthen the weak points in the Nissan 280zx NA trans.

I'd like to ask the group... What ideas do you have on improving the stock

trans to handle additional power? Which is the best year tranny to start

with as a basis (5 speed is required in my case).

I have had several suggestions from cryo treating the gear sets and synchros

to double pinning the needle bearings to replacing the aluminum shift forks

with the steel type from earlier Nissan transmissions.

I'm NOT a transmission guy... most of the stuff in a tranny is black magic

to me (although I assume an education is coming my way shortly ).

I'd love to hear what people have come up with...

Let's face it, racers have been using the stock tranny for years so I'm sure they learned a thing or two over the years...

if you dont drag race and use the clutch properly(apply power after releasing clutch)the na trans is fine.i use a 82 na trans behind my turbo motor.82-83 na trans has best ratios for sports car type driving and best 5th gear for freeway.if you look at a ratio chart you will see that early (75-78) z 5 speeds had a big gap between 2d & 3rd and 5th wasnt much of an od gear vs 82/83 na trans.i like the na trans because it shifts smooth with redline mtl in it-has a good precise click-click but not heavy.car has been used for driver schools on tracks -laguna,sears point.i have a 82 zxt t5 bellhousing .i tried to bolt a wc t5 to it but it will take some machining-it wont bolt together.since i am beefing up my hp with new engine and efi system i will find out if the trans can take 350 or so hp.i think it will work if i dont drag race.its shock loading that destroys parts.

Ken - I haven't heard any definitive proof that the T5 is any stronger than the na trans either. I have not tried the na trans behind my '73ZXT or my cousins '78ZXT but we both managed to blow the T5's 3rd gear. My opinion , the na tranny does have better ratios than the T5 so, i would think the 280b trans would be the one to beef up, if so inclined. What the weak link in that trans is, i have no idea. Wish i could help more because i need to strong trans's installed within the next 2 months! lol.

Randy - I understand what you mean about shock-loading and the drag racing/blown trans notion but as far as the T5 goes, both my cousin and I blew 3rd gear while just rolling the throttle on heavy while in third, boosting around 16-18psi then, WHAMO, 3rd gear is toothless. I'm not sure if the na 3rd gear is tougher but, i'm hoping so for your sake. What year ford 5.0 WC-T5 was it that you tried bolting the ZXT T5 Bell too?

Hey Len' date='

Since you and your cousin are the "strip the teeth off of third gear" kings, why not put a Nissan trans behind one of those turbo motors and tell us what the weak link is!

Joe[/quote']

Hey guys... Another option might be to cryo treat the gears in the T5... If ya wanna be cheap, just cryo treat 3rd gear and see if that solves the problem.

I would personally give a stock NA 82-83 5 speed a try... If you can have a tranny shop replace the aluminum forks with the steel ones from the older trannies and also double pin the bearings I'd bet it would work pretty well (but who knows)... A good tranny shop might have a few more tricks up their sleeves to beef it up.

It's all experimental at this point!

We're not the only ones that've done this Joe, Tim and a few others have done the same exact thing. If i had a 280b tranny, i might try it. I only have the 280a trannies and the 2-3rd gear split is horrible. All i'm trying to do is find a stronger trans, in stock form, than both the na 5sp and the T5, but not have to spend $1600 for the G-Force. What are you running Joe?

Len, yeah I know others have done it but I think you guys have the record for the amout of T5's trashed! I'm still running a T5 also. The only difference is my car breaks other things before it has a chance to break the trans :) I'm still looking at the Ford WC T5 if Ken doesn't figure out a cheap way to use the Z32 trans. Randy, what was the problem with the bellhousing to WC fitment? Was it bolt placement or diameter of the bellhousing didn't match?

Joe

Len, you guys going to the convention in August?

Well, i cant speak for Nick because, within 2 months, he's blown 2 T5's, destroyed a piston, blew a T3 and tore up an R200! Not a good track record for him. lol. Me, i baby my Z (grinning)

I think i'm going to really look into the Ford WC T5 if i can get my hands on one just to take some measurements. Know of any around?

I plan on going in August. You?

Well here is tha answer for my V8 car!

The late 70's, early 80's Jeep 151 4 cylinder CJ bellhousing. Since this was the GM Iron Duke engine that Jeep used, the bell has the Cheverolet V8 bolt pattern on the engine side and the Ford T5 pattern on the other. (Originally used with the Jeep T4). Chevy Small Block to a Mustang T5, this is how you start.

Joe