HybridZ

Need some info on the GM LQ4.....6.0L

A guy at work has a 6.0L truck motor that he wants to get rid of real bad. He only wants $500 for it. Thats for intake to oil pan with all the sensors on it. No harness though. And I havent seen the motor yet but it was pulled out of new Silverado and thats all I know.

But I have a few question first.....

1. Does the LS1 intake bolt right up?

2. Is this an Alluminum block or Iron block engine?

3. Are the stock heads any good or should I look into some other heads?

4. Whats the compression ratio of these engines? Im thinking supercharger....:twisted:

I dont know what I will do with the engine if I do buy it but for $500 it seems like a great deal!

Guy

1. Yes & No. An LS1 manifold will bolt to the heads, but the LS1 manifold is much lower than the truck and there are issues with the MAP sensor interfering with the accessory drive belt. Not a real big problem, but something to be aware of. Go to Street & Performance's website (Google mena Street and performance) somewhere around "hotrodlane.com". They have done a number of swaps with this engine. Buy their CD on LS1 engines. It will tell you all.

2. Iron block and on early models iron heads as well.

3. All GENIII heads flow well and all can be fitted with the 2.0 intake valves. I believe most versions (300hp) of the 6.0 truck engine will have more combustion chamber volume.

4. Something around 9.4 CR.

5. Go look at Ls1tech.com or other LS1 websites. They all have a truck section. LQ4, Texas, Oklahoma, and superchargers all seem to be a common constellation.

6. Trucks mount all their accessories in a different fashion than LS1s and the high end recent Cadillacs with the 6.0 have higher compression, aluminum heads, and about 340 rated HP.

7. Finally, don't even think about using the truck pan for a swap into a Z, it has a deep, deep, deep rear sump that will probably not clear the first beer can you straddle. Might work for drag only, but not practical for the street. Use an "F" body pan instead.

g

There aint no way in hell Im paying for anything from S&S. Their prices are just rediculous in my opinion. Not to mention the wiring harness that I bought from Darius(who bought it from S&S) wasnt exactly the greatest in quality.......I mean come on they had the 2 O2 sensors cross wired so that the left O2 controlled the right bank and vise versa! Yeah that took me while to figure out!

I dont know exactly what I would do with this motor. I might try and talk a buddy of mine into putting it in his 85' Monte SS. Its better than the carb'd POS that he's got in there now!

Guy

Sorry you had a bad experience. Yes, I agree, they are pricey. They are not for the everday hotrodder. They cater to the show car crowd. However, their service and support has been very good for me. They worked with me on headers for my LS1 swap through the mail when nobody else wanted to do it. And, those custom headers cost me $435 ceramic coated with collectors gaskets bolts etc. This was way before John's Cars, JTR, and Sanderson. If you had bought parts from them, they would have fixed any problems you had.

By the way Superchargers go well with the LQ4, that would mean you don't have to swap heads, but it is also more money. But, $500 is a good deal. I sold some LQ4 heads on ebay for $250.